[SOLVED] How does Windows decide the size of the pagefile.sys file?

alfema

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
Hello all.

I have W10 on the first SSD and Linux on the second, where I left a 8244 MB partition for the Windows swap file.

No matter how I configure the virtual memory on that partition, it doesn't create a file larger than 3.9 GB in size, which together with the 16 GB of RAM seems insufficient for The Division 2, it closes at 99.9 % virtual memory usage, even though the game doesn't use all 16 GB.

Any way to get at least 4 GB of virtual memory? Don't tell me to set it fixed, I already tried it, with several values without result.

Thanks in advanced.

Solution
Could it be that you try to create the swap file on a fat32 partition? This will put a hard limit on file size < 4GB.

alfema

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
Could it be that you try to create the swap file on a fat32 partition? This will put a hard limit on file size < 4GB.

You hit the nail on the head!, what an idiot I am!, I had extended the old 4GB partition without remembering to reformat.

Thank you very much for your observation!, I could already be testing until the end of days!

BTW - what version of windows do you have? Is it 32bit version?

64 bit version, Does anyone use 32-bit versions?

Reactions: Grobe

alfema

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
Sounds like game has a memory leak then. Increasing size is just a work around, it will eventually eat all the extra space too

Probably, now with 16 GB of physical memory plus 8 GB in the swap file, it has failed again.

Although the recommended memory in the requirements is 8 GB, in the Windows event viewer error it said that it had consumed 13,145 GB.

:mad:

I think the old recommendation (and afaik default) was RAM x 1.5 for pagefile.
To me that always felt too simple, but I'm also one of the people who set it to a fixed size from old times to prevent fragmentation.
Currently on my main system with 16 GB I've got it set to 48 GB and on my secondary with 8 GB RAM I got the pagefiile to 16 GB, so 3 times and 1 times the physical RAM, but they have different use cases.

In your case I would start with 16 RAM + 16 pagefile. And obviously monitor how your memory use goes. Both for physical and virtual memory.