How does windows media creation tool work?

s050900

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
So I'm building a pc and I was looking for a way to buy windows and get it to be bootable on a usb and I came along this
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-guide/
And here's were I'm confused. The instructions are basically the same as on microsofts page from which you can download the software so it seems legit but it also just seems to good. I get another windows for free? So where's the catch?

Solution
the media creation tool makes win 10 installers on DVD or USB, that are functionally the same as buying a new copy of win 10 but don't have the licence key you need to activate win 10.

The reason it exists is most people upgraded from win 7/8 electronically (download/upgrade) and don't have a installer to use in case they want to reinstall win 10 again.

You need to buy a licence , the installer is just needed to get win 10 on PC. Its not the important part, the licence is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the media creation tool makes win 10 installers on DVD or USB, that are functionally the same as buying a new copy of win 10 but don't have the licence key you need to activate win 10.

The reason it exists is most people upgraded from win 7/8 electronically (download/upgrade) and don't have a installer to use in case they want to reinstall win 10 again.

You need to buy a licence , the installer is just needed to get win 10 on PC. Its not the important part, the licence is.

Solution

s050900

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

So now if I went to Microsoft store and buy windows with the download version would I get the license? I'm worried it would start downloading straight away or something.