[SOLVED] How durable and reliable are BenQ and LG monitors?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have tried products from both companies recently but they all have some sort of issues. In the past, I bought from NEC and Samsung. From the internet, it looks like Samsung QC has dropped.

I have not used BenQ products before. Usually how long do monitors from BenQ and LG last before repairing or replacement is needed? From short personal experience, my experience with LG's support is that they are useless and unhelpful. From the internet, it looks like people just buy a new one when their LG monitors are having issues. While BenQ's support answers, they also cannot resolve some issues and requires me to do beta testing for them. When I complained about backlight bleed, they said that they don't test their products in the dark and told me to watch movies in a bright room even their monitors have a "Cinema mode".

Solution
monitors are electronic devices, they can last a day or 20 years, one day it could be fine and the next day just not turn on. Ive used BenQ, LG, and Samsung, ive been using dual screens for over 20 years and always buy two at the same time. My computer stays on 24/7 as well as my monitors and there is always 1 that dies before the other.

I bought a pair of Benq monitors back in 2007, one is long dead the other is still rocking out on my sister-in-laws computer.
i bought a pair of samsung monitors in 2012, one is dead the other my brother is still using.
i have pair of LG monitors i bought in 2018 that im still using.

I roughly get about 5-6 years out of a dual pair but as you can see 1 dies while the other still lives on, both...

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Sounds like you've had some bad personal experiences. Anecdotally, I'd say a monitor should be expected to last 10 years or so if it's from a decently reliable manufacturer. I'd lump LG and BenQ into the "reliable" manufacturers group.

So if a BenQ/LG monitor has no issue within the first 30 days, they should be fine for a few years? I buy top of the line products and they are expensive. I will be very unhappy if they don't last more than five years.

Who are the top three monitor manufacturers these days?

Last edited:
That's generally why there's a 30-90 day return policy. You're basically looking for out-of-the-box defects. Dead/stuck pixels, physical damage, inputs or OSD controls not working. After that, you're in the MTBF arena, so "a few years" is highly variable depending on how many hours per day the screen is on. Sure there can be outliers. You can look at warranty duration if you're particularly concerned. Looks like (for example) BenQ EX3202R has a 3 year warranty FWIW...

In no particular order:
Samsung
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
LG
Acer
Dell
ViewSonic
BenQ

Keep in mind that there are far fewer OEM panel manufacturers. Samsung, LG, AUO are basically the big 3. I'd imagine similarly short list for backlight, etc. Everyone else just buys the components and puts them in a housing with a stand and ships it out the door. That's not to say that Samsung and LG monitors are necessarily better though.

Last edited:
monitors are electronic devices, they can last a day or 20 years, one day it could be fine and the next day just not turn on. Ive used BenQ, LG, and Samsung, ive been using dual screens for over 20 years and always buy two at the same time. My computer stays on 24/7 as well as my monitors and there is always 1 that dies before the other.

I bought a pair of Benq monitors back in 2007, one is long dead the other is still rocking out on my sister-in-laws computer.
i bought a pair of samsung monitors in 2012, one is dead the other my brother is still using.

I roughly get about 5-6 years out of a dual pair but as you can see 1 dies while the other still lives on, both bought at the same time.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
So mostly depends on luck? One concern is that LG offers a one year warranty only while BenQ offers three. However, I don't know how their local support is like when an actual repairing is needed.

So during the return period, we can control what to do with the monitor but after that, even with warranty, it is at the mercy of the manufacturer? So I should check everything during the return period and if there is anything wrong, don't try to tolerate it as it may get worse later? Also, if the manufacturer cannot resolve the issues during the return period, just return the monitor as they may never?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I roughly get about 5-6 years out of a dual pair but as you can see 1 dies while the other still lives on, both bought at the same time.

I don't know the situation with monitors in recent years. I bought NEC Multisync 30 years ago and they worked very well for a few years until they were sold. Also had no issue with Samsung monitors at that time but on the internet, I keep reading they have dead pixel issues these days.

What is the reason for buying two at the same time? With the hope that they are from the same batch?

I think the BenQ monitors were 22" 1680 x 1050, i then moved to the smasung which were 27" 1080p and finally the LG that are 27" 4k

Buying 2 at the same time just ensures that they are the same make a model, i have bought monitors a few months apart before and when i went to get the same on it was out of stock. when it came back in stock it was a newer model and looked different.

I use 4 monitors at work, all are dell P series and 23" 1 is from 2010, 2 are from 2012, and 1 is from 2017. as hard as ive tried none of them have the same color even the two from the same year. The 2017 is my center flanked by the 2 2012 and the 2017 looks smaller because of the bezel size.

Colif

Win 11 Master
between 2003 and 2020 I had Samsung monitors and never had a problem with them. I think I had about 5 in that time. My 4k still works but I retired it.
Since then used a LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440

I only had one monitor die in that time and it was self inflicted. Samsung monitors tend to have power lights on them and on one monitor, to avoid the red light keeping me awake, I would turn monitor off by the switch each night. One day the switch stopped working and I couldn't turn it on. After replacing monitor I just found other ways to block the lights. My LG not having a light has solved that problem and I haven't looked back.