How easy is it to transfer a computer to another case?

darklink5510

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
How easy would it be to take all the parts from my current pc and put in a new case? I know it's pretty simple to do but is there any dangers to it? Feel free to give me any tips and tricks when selecting a new case and for when moving my components into the new one.

Use masking tape to label each wire's end as to what it gets connected and take notes like:

Wire No. 1 - 24 pin from PSU to MoBo (picture no. 1)
Wire No. 2 - 8 pin from PSU to MoBo (picture no. 2)
Wire Nos. 3 & 4 - twin PCI-E connectors to GFX card (picture no. 3)

Use little zip-lok plastic bags w/ labels or coffee cups with masking tape labels to hold screws.

darklink5510

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the great ideas so far. Now I've heard that you have to be careful when you put the cables back into the mobo (after its been put in the case) because it could bend and break.

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
you should be fine, up until recently all i ever did was replace some ram, change a hard disc or change a Gfx card.

But within the last month i decided to buy a new PSU and replace the old one, add another Fan to my case and replace the heatsink that was on my processor. the last one required me to completely remove my motherboard from the case, then remove the old heatsink and bracket, remove the processor and clean thermal paste from it, all before adding a new bracket more thermal paste and attaching the new heatsink and then putting the enitre system back together again.

this of course didnt come without its problems, the heat generated inside my case caused the screws that were holding the motherboard in place to be really really tight, i had to use a screw driver plus a set of Plyers to remove them, but it was all straight forward and worked fine in the end.

one thing i would definatley reccomend is to have your motherboard manual with you as you will need to connect the harddive led, power button, power button led, reset button etc to the motherboard from the new case.

The manual is still very handy to have.

I forgot to suggest taking pictures. I joined the digital photo age age only about 3 years ago. I wanted to be certain that this new fangled digital stuff was going to catch on. :)

Saudi mantra: "We fear change. Change is evil."

Bylov6812

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
Well, I'm trying the same thing, and since the technology difference of my old pc case and new one (Fractual design Define S or R5, as they call it) is pretty huge, I got manual with the case, so that will help.