[SOLVED] how easy to fix warped mobo?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys

i have come to a conclusion that my mobo is warped, reason being is because when i got the pc over a year ago, it had 2 gpu in sli. i have took one out only about a month ago but now i dont want any dedicated gpu in my pc so i took that out so i could use onboard graphic.

problem was every time i tried to switch pc on without any dedicated gpu, it would not switch on, the only thing that powers up on the mobo is my fans except one which is odd, there are no led code either. so only part of the mobo was getting power. another thing is, whenever it wont switch on, i push on the missing standoff then it would switch on. since then i have took the motherboard out and put the missing standoff in and it still wouldn't switch on. even pressing on the missing standoff does not work as i have refitted the standoff so its stopping the mobo bending slightly.

so right now i have no choice but to leave 1 dedicated gpu in because of the weight so the mobo would work, i can use my onboard graphics but ONLY with the gpu in. i dont even have power plugged to the gpu too.

as i said, i really do think the mobo is warped as that is what it really looks like.

i hope i have explained everything as this is really getting me down

many thanks

Solution
I suspect there is a broken trace inside the mobo. When you bend it the trace reconnects. When the standoff is in place to prevent it from bending it has no way to make that connection.

You probably should replace the mobo if possible.

rgd1101

Don't
full system spec?

for all your thread. are you sure you don't have a short? take the motherboard out of the case and test it

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
full system spec?
very sorry, i knew i have forgotten something.

was concentrating on writing that paragraph.

full specs:

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: Phanteks ethoo pro m tempered glass
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
full system spec?

for all your thread. are you sure you don't have a short? take the motherboard out of the case and test it
shorts as in the mobo is touching the case?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I suspect there is a broken trace inside the mobo. When you bend it the trace reconnects. When the standoff is in place to prevent it from bending it has no way to make that connection.

You probably should replace the mobo if possible.
As the above comment...there is likely a broken trace inside.
Not fixable.
do you know which motherboard that is equivalent to my motherboard please?