[SOLVED] How exacly does SSD affect gaming.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
So i have a laptop with 1050Ti and I7 7700HQ windows 10 64bit and 8GB ram and a SSHD you might think thats really good but honestly gaming on it is almost impossible i noticed that dell has put the worst possible SSHD on the entire planet in the model im using every thing takes so much longer than a SSHD should for example this game rust loads for 3 minutes with a HDD or SSHD (15 minutes with a older one) and my SSHD takes 40 minutes and after im finally in the game i cant even play because each step is 1 lag so i wanted to know does having a SSD make the ingame textures load faster and does having a really bad SSHD make the textures load slower?

Solution
"this game rust loads for 3 minutes with a HDD or SSHD (15 minutes with a older one) and my SSHD takes 40 minutes "

<<<all of this is extremely long.....almost like there is something else going on.

" does having a really bad SSHD make the textures load slower? "
I would assume this.

....and an SSD "should" make things load much faster......unless there is something else going on.

You might want to run a disk scan on your current drive.....maybe there is something wrong with it.
"this game rust loads for 3 minutes with a HDD or SSHD (15 minutes with a older one) and my SSHD takes 40 minutes "

<<<all of this is extremely long.....almost like there is something else going on.

I would assume this.

....and an SSD "should" make things load much faster......unless there is something else going on.

You might want to run a disk scan on your current drive.....maybe there is something wrong with it.

Solution

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

I would assume this.

How do i do a disc scan?

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
check cpu/gpu temp?
ram/sshd usage?

If i tried to check all of that while its loading the whole laptop would just freeze but cpu and gpu temps are fine while gaming because some guy from dell came and changed the dusty fans for new clean ones and i have no idea how much ram its using while loading but i cant really find that out if it keeps freezing the laptop while loading and the SSHD usage well its all over the place no matter what so i wouldnt be able to tell you anyway.

Sep 28, 2019
I'm not sure, but I think your system(apps) is utilizing too much ram, so when you want to load a big one(a game for example), memory swap begins.

Virtual memory is place of your primary partition(usually) that acts as RAM, no matter if it's HDD, or SSD, it comes with bottleneck.

FIrst, make sure you system has enough memory before running your game. Also check virtual meory usage.
By system idle, there should not be too much, if so, so go and check what services/apps causes too much memory usages. Some bad programmed apps could have memory leak that eats up your memory no matter what does it do.

Hope it helps

Swap to an actual SSD, and call it a day...?

Crucial's MX500 is excellent(and noticeably less expensive than Samsung's 860 EVO), with 500 GB and 1 TB models at $65/105, respectively...

As perhaps some sort of corruption has occurred, I'd full reinstall to the new SSD, and get on with gaming goodness! (1050 mobile and 7700HQ are plenty for a laptop still, my wife has a 7700HQ/GTX1060M , and it is quite nice!)

As you have only 8 GB of RAM, you want to terminate every unneeded process before staring the game, all cloud storage, all browser tabs, chat programs, streaming apps, etc., anything that might be hogging resources/RAM possible....

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Swap to an actual SSD, and call it a day...?

Crucial's MX500 is excellent(and noticeably less expensive than Samsung's 860 EVO), with 500 GB and 1 TB models at $65/105, respectively...

As perhaps some sort of corruption has occurred, I'd full reinstall to the new SSD, and get on with gaming goodness! (1050 mobile and 7700HQ are plenty for a laptop still, my wife has a 7700HQ/GTX1060M , and it is quite nice!)

As you have only 8 GB of RAM, you want to terminate every unneeded process before staring the game, all cloud storage, all browser tabs, chat programs, streaming apps, etc., anything that might be hogging resources/RAM possible....

I was thinking about that and im gonna get the evo 860 500 GB because its top seller on a website i always buy stuff on and theres 5 year warranty on it and its only 10 dollars more than the MX500 and right now i have everything on 1 drive and i only used 369 GB i made this post because i wasnt sure if SSD loads ingame textures after the loading screen is gone now i know why no one wants to go back to HDD from a SSD.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
MX500 is also a 5 year warranty.

Hmmm still the 860 has "technology V-NAND" and "Intelligent TurboWrite" i dont know what it is but it should make atleast some difference and also on the website im buying it from150 more people bought the 860 but MX500 and 860 dont have any bad reviews still tho i think the 860 is atleast a little better because they have the software.

USAFRet

Titan
Hmmm still the 860 has "technology V-NAND" and "Intelligent TurboWrite" i dont know what it is but it should make atleast some difference and also on the website im buying it from150 more people bought the 860 but MX500 and 860 dont have any bad reviews still tho i think the 860 is atleast a little better because they have the software.
And the MX500 has multiple "magic beans" per cell, to give better performance with "mutlimode fastburst technology", and can actually operate in a "182 degree inverted orientation".

You're reading buzzwords that have no meaning to us out here.
The 860 EVO and MX500 are a tossup as to performance, longevity, and warranty.
Buy the 860. It will make you happy.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
And the MX500 has multiple "magic beans" per cell, to give better performance with "mutlimode fastburst technology", and can actually operate in a "182 degree inverted orientation".

You're reading buzzwords that have no meaning to us out here.
The 860 EVO and MX500 are a tossup as to performance, longevity, and warranty.
Buy the 860. It will make you happy.

I will, atleast if i realise i made a mistake and wasted 10 dollars i will know that 413 people made the same mistake.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Its an OK drive management tool.

So i figured out how to do the disc scan (took 1 google search) and well here are the results.
Oh and the Read got really damn lucky it was hardly going at 5MB/s same with write
also it took 20 minutes to get those results so no wonder i was loading 60 minutes into rust.
mySSHD.PNG

TRENDING THREADS