How exactly does a power supply draw power?

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
So, I have a CX500 in my build. So it can draw 500W of power maximum. According to PCPartPicker, my entire rig will consume about 350W of power. My question is what exactly does that mean? Am I drawing 350W of power every second? Every minute? Every hour? I don't look at my parent's electric bill, and my computer isn't a separate payment so I can't just do the math and find out that way. Please let me know how a PSU draws power over tme

Solution
The PSU supplies power to the components as they need it. At idle, you'll be drawing a fraction of that 350W. Under load (gaming/Prime95/coin mining), it will supply more power as needed.

Looking at an electric bill, you'll see it in kW/hour. Kilowatts per hour, for the whole house.
At full load on your PC, you have the equivalent of 3 100W lightbulbs on.

USAFRet

Titan
The PSU supplies power to the components as they need it. At idle, you'll be drawing a fraction of that 350W. Under load (gaming/Prime95/coin mining), it will supply more power as needed.

Looking at an electric bill, you'll see it in kW/hour. Kilowatts per hour, for the whole house.
At full load on your PC, you have the equivalent of 3 100W lightbulbs on.

Solution
power is sold in units called KWh, i.e. 1000W in an hour. So a PC drawing 350W from the wall will use 0.35 KW every hour, so if it is on for 3 hours, running at full speed, it will use 3x0.35 = 1.050KWh, i.e. approx 1 unit of electricity every hour. In the UK this costs about £0.10/unit so running for 3 hours cost £0.10.

TRENDING THREADS