How far away are we from the HD5850 and 5870?

How far away do you think ATI is from releasing the HD5850 and 5870 cards?

December / January?

Has anyone heard any 'little dragon' updates?

I was thinking about getting a 4850 or 70 but if we are only about a month or two away from a card that is 20% faster while being cooler and more energy efficient then it would be worth waiting for.

Well I know that ATI sat on the 29XX and 38XX series cards but I thought their new strategy was a new card every 6 months.

The 4850 came out on June 25th.

I was thinking maybe January or February the 58XX series cards might be available.

Nvidia has plans for new cards at the start of the year. I am sure ATI would have to release something to counter it in order to hold marketshare.

G

I don't care there aren't any games in the foreseeable future that would even tax the 4000 series...

even at high resolution... I have a 4870... not the X2... and can literally play every game at max at 1920 by 1200... except crysis but i can play that all high at near 40 fps all the time

only game that is currently taxing... is Stalker Clear Sky... but thats just really bad programming... i mean it looks like sh*t and runs worse than crysis....

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
yehhh and i was stupid enough to buy a 3870 early in may when i could have waited for the 4850>: (
thats when i learned to read from Tom's to stay up to date on the tech world:p

4745454b

Titan
Why worry about the 5xxx? First, as already mentioned, the 4870 runs everything just fine. What do you need the 5870 to run, except two poorly coded games? Second, I don't see anything major coming from AMD. They have the lead, Nvidia is the one that needs to release something big. AMD can "take this round off" and just release a die shrink and minor tweak of the 4870 and still stay good.

I don't think they will release new cards every 6 months. The 4800s are selling well, they don't really need any new cards.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
yahhh, im sure AMD will be set for awhile unless NVIDIA drops the price of their 'all powerful' GTX280 to like 300 dollars or release something that we can all afford and still play all the new games. and lately, nvidia has been a little greedy. realeseing 2 cards that are above the 200 dollar price point.

shaundwm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
AMD will not make the same mistake as they did with their Athlon Processor series and with the Radeon 2000 series.

That said AMD will definitly not push for (much) greater performance heights with it's next series, but rather reducing costs and power consumption (like they did with the transition from the 2000-3000 series).

Let's not forget the Fusion project, which will burn through a LOT of their money.

They probably won;t make another big push until the 6000 series which won't happen till at least the end of 2009. We still however have an exciting year ahead of us

You just answered everything for me. The 58XX series will be 40nm and if TSMC does not plan to do it until March then the card will not be out until after March. Thank you for that post.

The 4870 is interesting but I am now thinking about TWO 4850s in X-Fire. They cost roughly the same $300.

I got a 700 Watt OCZ power supply and the only reason I bought it was because the week I bought my PC it was on sale and was actually cheaper than the 600 Watt Model. If I got it I might as well use it.

Good thinking :) Make sure your case can cool those two HD 4850 cards though.

I've seen an article today where TSMC says "Q2" for the 40nm now. Sorry, that means April to June, not March. They probably ran into some difficulties. Anyway, if you do get the HD 4850 Crossfire you shouldn't need an upgrade in 2009 IMO.

I don't care there aren't any games in the foreseeable future that would even tax the 4000 series...

even at high resolution... I have a 4870... not the X2... and can literally play every game at max at 1920 by 1200... except crysis but i can play that all high at near 40 fps all the time

only game that is currently taxing... is Stalker Clear Sky... but thats just really bad programming... i mean it looks like sh*t and runs worse than crysis....
While you are on the subject of games...

This may be hi-jacking my own thread but I got REALLY EXCITED about what I saw on EASPORTS.com last night regarding FIFA Soccer '09. Peter Moore is reviving PC gaming and is bringing back all of the EA SPORTS titles HOWEVER HE IS BRINGING THEM BACK WITH XBOX360/PS3 LEVEL GRAPHICS. They are also promising year over year graphical improvements for the Enthusiast level PC Rigs.

This indicates that games like MADDEN 2010 will be available for the PC with coding for XBOX360 graphics engine.

The cost for this is a onetime online activation to verify you don't have a pirated copy. They are being extremely generous and will allow you to install the game on 5 different PCs.

Here is the news on it.

http://www.fifa09.ea.com/us/news/entryid/26140

The Screenshots for the PC version of FIFA 09 look great! HUGE improvement. By the way...the release date for FIFA 09 is today.

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I heard Q2 2009. But with "only" 30% performance increase, it's not that exciting. Todays hd4870 will fly thru any game, two of them will own Crysis. Two hd4850s probably will beat a hd5870. Let games catch up before you shell out for an overkill card.

I heard 20% but 30% I think is pretty good.

However I ain't waiting until 2nd Quarter 2009.

I am going to go with a 48XX series.

Just have not decided which one or which brand yet.

I think I will likely go with Visiontek or get a 48XX series with one of those ICE4 coolers on it.

I also got to admit those new ASUS Black Knight 4870s look pretty good. They should be available this week or next.

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
You could buy one 4850 now and get another 4850 for xfire when 5870 comes out and your 4850 in xfire will probably still be faster! Then when 6870 comes out, sell both 4850s to a friend on a budget. This will offset some of the cost. It's expensive to be on the bleeding edge :)

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

i wouldnt start salivating until you see the price tag xD

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Well you can thank central air I guess for that, but sure why not.

4745454b

Titan
A new GX2? First, remember that the GTX is a huge chip. Just getting two of them on a single card without causing the card to get even bigger will be a tough fit. (plus the ram for each chip, unless Nvidia figured out shared ram before AMD.) Second, I remember reading when the 280 came out that some people felt the chip ran so hot, that getting two on one card would be (nearly?) impossible. With the "new" GTX260, perhaps thats what Nvidia will use for the new GX2. Undervolt them enough to get the heat down, down clock them enough to run stable, then throw two on one PCB with a big enough fan. Uses up your old supply of old GTX260's, while still allowing you to use any more new defective chips that come along.

wouldnt start salivating until you see the price tag xD

I don't think they'd be able to sell them for much more then the 4870x2. $600, at most. Come to think of it, Nvidia owes an apology and a couple hundred to everyone who bought the GTX280 when they came out. WAY overpriced.

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Its no wonder why hd4850s and 70s have outsold the GTX280s. Nvidia is losing money on that one due to die size and 512 bit ram. I remember how ATI lost money on the hd2900xt. When will ATI go back to 512 bit ram? Nvidia is ahead there.

I think ATI have to release something Q1 early Q2 at the latest. I understand the argument that games dont need the cards yet but i would sooner have hardware with untapped potential than games we have to wait for new cards to play properly. AMD got burned being complacent and sitting on their laurels when their CPU was the chip of choice and Nvidia have been caught napping doing the same thing with their GPU's. I feel sure that these mistakes will not have gone unnoticed and think they would continue to improve the cards, maybe not as fast as they could but i cant see them being in the position of Nvidia releasing something they couldnt counter in some way.
Complete rubish though it is (personal opinion) the green bandwagon rushes full steam ahead and the way ATI are going they are ticking all the right boxes. Better performance for less power. I mean a while ago we were heading for a 1KW PSU being the norm, Now you can run a card that will run rings around most things(4850) with a decent 400 Watt PSU.

Mactronix