[SOLVED] How Far can I OC my i5 6400 with a b250m gaming pro

Feb 22, 2019
How Far can I OC my i5 6400 with a b250m gaming pro, so far ive OCed the base clock to 2.8 ghz (Originally 2.7 Ghz) how far can it go also i have a stock cooler (Planning to buy a better one within a month) but im not worried about my cpu ive seen vids of it going 4.5 with aftermarket coolers, im worried if my motherboard cant handle it(Vrms have no heatsinks) AND PLEASE DONT SAY OMG u CaNt Oc a NoNk CpU cus i just did so pls if u dont know wut ur talking about pls dont answer

Solution
AND PLEASE DONT SAY OMG u CaNt Oc a NoNk CpU cus i just did so pls if u dont know wut ur talking about pls dont answer

By the way, I DO happen to know, and I'm telling you that with a B250 motherboard and i5-6400 CPU, you could only overclock that configuration using the BCLK multiplier which will effect everything else on the system, unless you have ONE specific BIOS release that happened to unlock locked chips on some boards, which was quickly removed by Intel through microcode updates to most boards. Overall, that hardware was not intended for overclocking and unless you have adequate aftermarket cooling, a much better motherboard and the correct BIOS version FOR it, it's a waste of time anyhow.
The reason those samples end up being i5-6400 units rather than higher tiered models, is because they've shown to be poorly binned wafers. There is always a chance you could get one that slipped through the cracks just to fulfill supply, but generally speaking those models would have very little overclocking headroom and generally aren't worth the effort or expense to overclock because although they have fair single core boot speeds on paper, the fact is that they become very unstable with medium to high all core overclocks. Overclocking to 2.8Ghz from 2.7Ghz, does nothing. The boost speeds are higher than that. Honestly, those CPUs are a waste of time to bother with trying to configure high frequency overclocks on because the all core boost speeds are generally already as high as you'd get from a manual overclock anyhow.

If it was a higher binned sample, there would be more headroom, but there's not, which is why those are turned into inexpensive bottom end i5 samples.

Are you adjusting the main clock speed upwards from 100 MHz? You might indeed get to 104 MHz before crashing your rig... (I'm frankly surprised even that option exists in a B250 board....)

But, your options for any noteworthy overclocking via standard multiplier adjustment are exactly none.....as it is a non-K model and on a non Z mainboard..

AND PLEASE DONT SAY OMG u CaNt Oc a NoNk CpU cus i just did so pls if u dont know wut ur talking about pls dont answer

By the way, I DO happen to know, and I'm telling you that with a B250 motherboard and i5-6400 CPU, you could only overclock that configuration using the BCLK multiplier which will effect everything else on the system, unless you have ONE specific BIOS release that happened to unlock locked chips on some boards, which was quickly removed by Intel through microcode updates to most boards. Overall, that hardware was not intended for overclocking and unless you have adequate aftermarket cooling, a much better motherboard and the correct BIOS version FOR it, it's a waste of time anyhow.

Solution