[SOLVED] How far can I overclock my 8700K?

Boonut_

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
I have an I7-8700K and a NH-D15S cooler. I get temps around 30 degrees idle and 50-55 degrees while on load. I want to get the best gaming performance possible. How far do you think I can overclock it while still at safe temps?

Solution
With that cooler you'll probably hit voltage limits before temp limits, but as with OC on any cpu the actual limit is upto the individual cpu itself. Silicon lottery. I have a 3570k that will not remain stable at 4.4GHz or higher (no matter what voltage) and a 3770k (same cpu+HT) that sits comfortably at 4.9GHz @1.32v.
4.8GHz, probably.
4.9GHz, mebe.
5.0GHz, probably not
5.1GHz, it's a miracle !

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are you still running stock settings? The cores are all likely good to 4.7Ghz, that would just be turning MCE on or syncing all the cores. I've seen people take it 4.8Ghz all cores on air before.

Only you have the power to find out. No definitive answer. As you start adding voltage to increase clocks you will see an increase in temperature. The CPU is good till about 90C, though you will want to keep it in the mid-80s at the warmest for everyday use.

Ambient temperature is a factor as well as the computers overall cooling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With that cooler you'll probably hit voltage limits before temp limits, but as with OC on any cpu the actual limit is upto the individual cpu itself. Silicon lottery. I have a 3570k that will not remain stable at 4.4GHz or higher (no matter what voltage) and a 3770k (same cpu+HT) that sits comfortably at 4.9GHz @1.32v.
4.8GHz, probably.
4.9GHz, mebe.
5.0GHz, probably not
5.1GHz, it's a miracle !

Solution

TRENDING THREADS