Question How far can I overclocking r5 1500x with stock cooler?

Jun 23, 2019
I just bought r5 1500x with stock cooler and MSI b350m pro for 150$ and 16gb ddr4 ram for 40$
Anyways can anyone please tell me how far I can overclocking my cpu with the stock cooler? this is my first time overclocking and I don’t want to take it to far.

And also was the r5 and the MSI combo a good deal or was it a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no definable limit as such. How much OC you can get out of that cpu is going to depend on multiple factors, you and your comfort level are included in that.

There's cpu heat, some ppl are fine running the cpu above 70ish °C gaming because they don't intend to stress the cpu any more than that. For some ppl their personal level is close to 50-55 °C gaming because they do stress the cpu and only want a max limit of 70°C regardless of usage.

There's ram. Higher speed ram gets better performance on Ryzens, but at the cost of highest OC as it uses more cpu than lower speed ram.

Knowledge. Contrary to beginner beliefs, OC isn't bumping cpu voltage and multiplier settings to achieve speeds, there's many more settings required tinkering with to get speeds up, voltages down and maintain stability. The more you understand and know about Ryzen OC, the better equipped the OC will be.

So limits will be set by how able the cpu/mobo/ram is, case cooling, your knowledge of OC specific to that bios and cpu, personal level of comfort with temps all over and above any other physical limitations. It's a guessing game and your pc will tell you when it's limits are reached. Could be just locking all cores at boost speed is the limit, could be 1GHz above on single core boost or anywhere in between.

I just bought r5 1500x with stock cooler and MSI b350m pro for 150$ and 16gb ddr4 ram for 40$
Anyways can anyone please tell me how far I can overclocking my cpu with the stock cooler? this is my first time overclocking and I don’t want to take it to far.

And also was the r5 and the MSI combo a good deal or was it a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're asking what what you can expect of a 1500X overclock... with a max boost clock of 3.7Ghz I'd say you should be able to get to 3.9Ghz comfortably. That board might even be OK for it (since it's 4core/8 thread) but you should plan on a better after market cooler that's not so loud.

If you're willing to push it hard with high(er) voltage you might even get into the 4.0-4.1Ghz range. But then you'd have to be careful the VRM doesn't get to warm which would be a prime source of instability.

And then you might just get one of those rare "gold sample" silicon CPU's and it will run right up to 4.1+Ghz with voltage on Auto. You never can tell.