How far can i push this crappy graphics card?

lukeelstrott

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
Motherboard: M5a97 le r2.0
GPU: Radeon HD 4800 series
PSU: VX 450W
CPU: Phenom II x4 955
I want to know how far I can safely push my GPU in msi afterburner, give me the numbers baby(if possible). Thanks! :)

Solution
You've not mentioned which aftermarket company that graphics card is from (ASUS, evga, gigabyte etc), there's no telling how far you can OC it, I don't even know what the factory clocks are on that. But it's simple, keep pushing the clocks upwards slowly (say 20mhz) time to time and when it gets too hot running fortnite, stop there.

Do check the fan speeds, turn them up as far as you feel comfortable with, put it to the best balance you can. (Noise / Cooling)

lukeelstrott

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018

sorry wasn't thinking. So you're saying even if i want to increase my fps om fortnite, which my computer can only handle on low, it would run too hot?

You've not mentioned which aftermarket company that graphics card is from (ASUS, evga, gigabyte etc), there's no telling how far you can OC it, I don't even know what the factory clocks are on that. But it's simple, keep pushing the clocks upwards slowly (say 20mhz) time to time and when it gets too hot running fortnite, stop there.

Do check the fan speeds, turn them up as far as you feel comfortable with, put it to the best balance you can. (Noise / Cooling)

Solution

ikaz

Distinguished
Well what he saying that the amount you could push it probably won't show much of any improvement and because the card is so old it may cause issues and damage the card. Also there are no currently updated drivers for the 4800 series since it so old I'm would bet there are optimizations that have been done for games that you can't take advantage of. Personally I would suggest upgrading your video card to a GT 1030 2GB with GDDR5 (make sure) or up to a 1050ti if you have the extra cash.