[SOLVED] How far (Overclock) can i push my RAM?

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Hi,
I was wondering how far I can push my new ram. Its said to run normally at 3200mhz but was running at 2666 instead, so I overclocked it to 3200Mhz and Put the voltage up to 1.25 volts because for some reason it was on 1.15 or something. Here is my RAM PNY XLR8 RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory - MD32GK2D4320016XRGB | Mwave.com.au Its rated as low power ram (1.35v) so is it safe to put it to 1.35v or should I put it to 1.32v just to be safe? It also says it supports a max frequency of 3200 but my motherboard will let me put it up to 6000mhz if I wish, if I put it to say 4000mhz will my system crash and i'll have to reset my cmos or worse?.. My mb is a refurbished MSI GAMING PLUS MAX X470 for reference

Solution
Hi there,

Really, all you need to do is set DOCP in your bios, and your ram should run at 3200mhz, with 1.35v. DOCP is like an auto setting for the faster speeds. You just click and go.

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Hi there,

Really, all you need to do is set DOCP in your bios, and your ram should run at 3200mhz, with 1.35v. DOCP is like an auto setting for the faster speeds. You just click and go.
Ok, I couldnt find it in my bios so I turned on A-XMP as it "Selects and loads memory profile with optimized timing and voltage settings supported by installed memory module." But that put my clock back to 2667 i also set my DRAM frequency back to auto for the A-XMP but 2667 so I set my voltage back to Auto, rebooted, went into task manager and it was on 3200Mhz! Thanks for the help, I'll remember this for when I get a new motherboard or RAM.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I couldnt find it in my bios so I turned on A-XMP as it "Selects and loads memory profile with optimized timing and voltage settings supported by installed memory module." But that put my clock back to 2667 i also set my DRAM frequency back to auto for the A-XMP but 2667 so I set my voltage back to Auto, rebooted, went into task manager and it was on 3200Mhz! Thanks for the help, I'll remember this for when I get a new motherboard or RAM.
DOCP is for Asus boards MSI uses XMP.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Apologies, I though you had an ASUS mobo, which is why i said DOCP. Yes, for other manufacturers it's called XMP or - AXMP. Good job.

Hope that's you sorted now :)

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Apologies, I though you had an ASUS mobo, which is why i said DOCP. Yes, for other manufacturers it's called XMP or - AXMP. Good job.

Hope that's you sorted now :)
Haha all good, if you didnt give me the idea of DOCP then I wouldnt have found XMP anyway. And my other Asus board uses XMP too, but my main system is a Ryzen and uses XMP