[SOLVED] How fast does your M.2 NVMe SSD takes to boot?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a new build desktop with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. It takes about 65 seconds for the system from power on to get to the log-on screen. The BIOS post takes about 12 seconds and loading Windows takes 55 seconds. I am thinking that this cannot be right as my second system is a LOT faster with a regular SATA SSD. The second system takes about 30 seconds to boot to the log-on screen.

Here's the puzzler. The SSD used to be on the MSi board with the 3900x CPU and it still took over a minute to boot, so I can eliminate the motherboard as the culprit.

So my question is: How long does it take for your M.2 NVMe SSD system to boot to the log-on screen?

System 1:
ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
MSi GeForce RTX2070 True Gaming 8GB GPU
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe 1TB
32GB Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 memory

System 2:
MSi X570 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
PNY GeForce 1650 4GB GPU
Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD
16GB Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 memory

Last edited:
Solution
Sata ssd with fresh, clean windows takes 8-9 seconds to get internet ready. Currently with all the additional garbage ppl add, like aio software, antivirus/malware startups, steam, etc it takes 22-23 seconds until internet ready. It's my pc, login is auto for me, no login screen.

Samsung 840Pro 128Gb. I also use a neat little program called WinAero whic tailors windows startup, and I have a bunch of stuff disabled. Like Cortana, windows store, social media feeds etc since they are useless for me.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I figured it out... I read another post that when using an M.2 device, you must not use the last two SATA channels as it conflicts with the M.2 channels. I checked my BIOS and SATA ports 4-8 were being used. After reconfiguring the ports to 1-5, the boot speed is super quick...

The BIOS boots in 12 seconds and the OS boots in 20 seconds... total 32 seconds...

The BIOS/POST display portion does not really count against storage speed/boot times...; certainly if impatient, you can and should enable fast boot, disable long mem test, etc., halt if any errors, and time to interrupt the process via 'hit Delete or F2 to enter BIOS' can be adjusted downward, etc...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sata ssd with fresh, clean windows takes 8-9 seconds to get internet ready. Currently with all the additional garbage ppl add, like aio software, antivirus/malware startups, steam, etc it takes 22-23 seconds until internet ready. It's my pc, login is auto for me, no login screen.

Samsung 840Pro 128Gb. I also use a neat little program called WinAero whic tailors windows startup, and I have a bunch of stuff disabled. Like Cortana, windows store, social media feeds etc since they are useless for me.

Solution

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I figured out why my PC takes so long to boot... i have six SATA devices plugged into the system. Four mechanical hard drives, one SSD and an optical drive. Windows polls each device which takes 5-7 seconds. If I disconnect all the SATA devices, the boot time drops to under 30 seconds, including the BIOS post which takes 15-20 seconds, so the actual OS boot time is under 15 seconds...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Which it shouldn't. That's what cmos is for. After the initial poll, windows boots, you do stuff, then hit windows shutdown. That procedure takes everything that's in the ram and saves it to storage, and writes a cmos file. Your whole pc is set to restart from cmos, no polling required. Bios and post just gets the ball rolling, cmos then gives it direction. Just doesn't sound right that it takes that long.

I'd make a boot.log and take a gander, see what's failing to enable, many times networking drivers especially will loop for a time and then get bypassed.