Question How force AMD to replace Ryzen with broken pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2019
I'm not sure if this is a taboo subject, but I need help and I have a feeling one of you out there has the answer I need.

I have a Ryzen 3600X with a couple broken pins. I'm fully aware that AMD rejects CPUs with broken pins.

But deep down, I just have a feeling that one of you has the magic words to make them accept this chip and alleviate my problems. so what i'm asking, is what are the magic words? if you are more comfortable msging me in private please do.

thank you.

Sep 3, 2019
There are no magic words. AMDs warranty only covers manufacturing defects. Broken pins are either a shipping issue(poor packaging or sloppy handling) or user caused, non of which are covered by warranty.

How were the pins broken?

when i opened the package, i was examining the contents. at some point the cpu stuck firmly to the thermal paste on the wraith spire. i overexerted myself when trying to pull them apart and the cpu flew out of my hand. this was like 60 seconds after opening the box.

bignastyid

Titan
when i opened the package, i was examining the contents. at some point the cpu stuck firmly to the thermal paste on the wraith spire. i overexerted myself when trying to pull them apart and the cpu flew out of my hand. this was like 60 seconds after opening the box.
That sucks, but AMD is not going to cover your accident under warranty no matter what you say. You'll have to buy a new cpu.

Next time a cpu gets stuck to a heatsink use a heat gun or hair dryer to to warm up the tim and loosen it up and it will separate much easier.

I'm not sure if this is a taboo subject, but I need help and I have a feeling one of you out there has the answer I need.

I have a Ryzen 3600X with a couple broken pins. I'm fully aware that AMD rejects CPUs with broken pins.

But deep down, I just have a feeling that one of you has the magic words to make them accept this chip and alleviate my problems. so what i'm asking, is what are the magic words? if you are more comfortable msging me in private please do.

thank you.
Have a video of you cutting the seal, opening the box, sliding out the clamshell pack, then opening the clamshell to reveal a CPU with broken pins....be sure to zoom in tight on the serial number.

If that doesn't do it then I don't know what possibly could.

InvalidError

Titan
You are out of luck as far as warranty replacement is concerned.

If it were me, I might be tempted to get a scrap CPU, hot-air a bunch of good pins off of it, hot-air broken pins off of my CPU, put solder paste and flux on the pads, gently set the scavenged pins on the prepped pads, hope that pins will flow into place correctly when I hot-air the area one last time, review the area(s) under microscope for solder bridges and pin alignment, then pray for a positive outcome.

If I had to price the job for someone else though, it would probably be cheaper to just buy another.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Aren't you the same person who had the several page long discussion about this, and were going to try and take pins from a different chip, etc?

DSzymborski

Titan

It's unfortunate that you've damaged your CPU, but warranties, unless you specifically purchase some supplemental accidental damage coverage if available, are only for defects that are the company's fault.

You being careless -- and apparently grossly so from your description -- isn't AMD's problem and they have no legal or ethical responsibility for your negligence.

DSzymborski

Titan
Aren't you the same person who had the several page long discussion about this, and were going to try and take pins from a different chip, etc?

Yup, closing this thread.

SF0614R18, you've already had an entire thread on this issue, one in which you were extremely rude and your thread was closed as a result. If you'd like to continue participating here, I'd strongly recommend you not make the third time the charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.