[SOLVED] How fragile are motherboard capacitors?

Nik1120

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Hey, got a z569-p board from asus and i was installing the usb 2.0 cable in the header on the bottom of the board. Right next to it there is a capacitor that i felt as i was applying pressure to the cable. Nothing visible to see so i didnt include a picture. I just got paranoid about potentially damaging it. Nothing appears loose. How much pressure can mobo capacitors handle? I was only applying the standard pressure for installing the usb 2.0 cable which can take a little force.

Solution
There is nothing to see under the cap, i imagine thats what you mean by leads. Its firmly on there. When i was testing to see if it was loose it only had a little give to it but i imagine thats normal seeing as its sticking of the board and only secured from the buttom right?
That's normal.
That is what is called a surface mount cap.
You should be fine.
Hey, got a z569-p board from asus and i was installing the usb 2.0 cable in the header on the bottom of the board. Right next to it there is a capacitor that i felt as i was applying pressure to the cable. Nothing visible to see so i didnt include a picture. I just got paranoid about potentially damaging it. Nothing appears loose. How much pressure can mobo capacitors handle? I was only applying the standard pressure for installing the usb 2.0 cable which can take a little force.
If the cap and leads (if they exist) are not visibly damaged it's fine.
Caps are pretty tough.

Nik1120

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
There is nothing to see under the cap, i imagine thats what you mean by leads. Its firmly on there. When i was testing to see if it was loose it only had a little give to it but i imagine thats normal seeing as its sticking of the board and only secured from the buttom right?