[SOLVED] How full is too full for gaming?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I can't believe I couldn't find this one on google, all my searches came back with people having problems with size not showing correclty or other issues entirely unrelated to my question, so I guess I'll have to bother the good people of these forums again :p

I decided to install my single-player games to a spare internal drive. But it's getting full fast and I'm wondering if I can just fill it up or if it'd start causing game-lags being full. Currently have 150GB/2tb free. Should I put my last few games on my C: drive, or will games still run fine if the drive they're on only has around 5gb?

Solution
if is a hard disk, and it doesn't contain windows, you can basically fill it up, try to leave 20gbs if you feel the need to defrag the hard disk, but honestly on a hard disk used just for games, you can basically fill it up

now, a ssd needs some free space to be left alone, if you don't let it free you loose performance on the unit fast

on a hard disk you loose performance when the contents are fragmented but windows should defrag the hard disk by itself, so no much need to worry about that

if you see you are in need of more storage, consider buying a 4TB hard disk or ssd, games these days usually eat 50 gbs

that or delete some games

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if is a hard disk, and it doesn't contain windows, you can basically fill it up, try to leave 20gbs if you feel the need to defrag the hard disk, but honestly on a hard disk used just for games, you can basically fill it up

now, a ssd needs some free space to be left alone, if you don't let it free you loose performance on the unit fast

on a hard disk you loose performance when the contents are fragmented but windows should defrag the hard disk by itself, so no much need to worry about that

if you see you are in need of more storage, consider buying a 4TB hard disk or ssd, games these days usually eat 50 gbs

that or delete some games

Solution

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Thanks for the fast reply!!

It's an HDD. I can't afford big SSDs and I need space more than speed. I have lots of free space on external drives, but I've heard games can be really slow over usb like that (but now that I have USB3.2 ports, might be okay?)