[SOLVED] How "future proof" am i for gaming?

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
I have recently upgraded my PC here are my main specs:
Ryzen 1600 w/ hyper 212 cooler
RX 480 4 gb ( powercolor )
8GB DDR4 2400mhz G.skill ram
Antec HGC 620W psu
MSI 350b pro gaming mobo

I play mostly AAA titles at 1080p and i keep my settings around normal levels and i plan on doing some lightweight streaming and video recording. But will these specs still hold up for a good while ? If so how long ? if not what should i plan on upgrading next ? ( probably my gpu ) but i would just like some professional input on this ! Thank You.

Solution
It's difficult to say how long it will last as we've been seeing more then 4 cores used in AAA games but it also comes down to your CPU & RAM. If your able to overclock your CPU to the 3.8-4ghz range then it should hold out for a bit (maybe a few more years?) but you need fast memory as well. If or when you upgrade your memory you need to sell it and buy a 2x8gb kit @3000/3200. Doing so may give you up to a 10-12 FPS increase in your games. The RX 480 is still a decent GPU for 1080P but I wouldn't consider upgrading it until Navi (mid to later this year) releases at the very least to make a worthwhile upgrade.

WildCard999

Titan
It's difficult to say how long it will last as we've been seeing more then 4 cores used in AAA games but it also comes down to your CPU & RAM. If your able to overclock your CPU to the 3.8-4ghz range then it should hold out for a bit (maybe a few more years?) but you need fast memory as well. If or when you upgrade your memory you need to sell it and buy a 2x8gb kit @3000/3200. Doing so may give you up to a 10-12 FPS increase in your games. The RX 480 is still a decent GPU for 1080P but I wouldn't consider upgrading it until Navi (mid to later this year) releases at the very least to make a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: Hydroshot
Solution

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Honestly not too sure about the quality of my motherboard as far as overclocking goes, i really dont wanna mess anything up again

WildCard999

Titan
Honestly not too sure about the quality of my motherboard as far as overclocking goes, i really dont wanna mess anything up again
The Pro Gaming's are decent but if you had issues previously then you may want to hold off. On the AM4 socket you still have two more generations, 3rd gen this summer-ish and 4th gen 2020 (rumor) to upgrade your CPU and with them coming out with more cores/threads & a higher boost speed overclocking really shouldn't be a concern with the newer CPU's. Just upgrade when your not happy with the performance. I was initially looking at the 3rd gen to replace my 2600 however I'm still more then happy with the performance so saving in my case would be wise and then I'll just buy the best 4th gen I can afford to get the most life from my AM4 motherboard.

Reactions: Hydroshot

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
The Pro Gaming's are decent but if you had issues previously then you may want to hold off. On the AM4 socket you still have two more generations, 3rd gen this summer-ish and 4th gen 2020 (rumor) to upgrade your CPU and with them coming out with more cores/threads & a higher boost speed overclocking really shouldn't be a concern with the newer CPU's. Just upgrade when your not happy with the performance. I was initially looking at the 3rd gen to replace my 2600 however I'm still more then happy with the performance so saving in my case would be wise and then I'll just buy the best 4th gen I can afford to get the most life from my AM4 motherboard.
if you do not want to overclock the CPU then in the future you can upgrade to a later gen or series of ryzen CPU. ryzen 3 will be compatible with that mobo via a BIOS update
Will i need to update the bios with my Ryzen 5 tho ?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
I have recently upgraded my PC here are my main specs:
Ryzen 1600 w/ hyper 212 cooler
RX 480 4 gb ( powercolor )
8GB DDR4 2400mhz G.skill ram
Antec HGC 620W psu
MSI 350b pro gaming mobo

I play mostly AAA titles at 1080p and i keep my settings around normal levels and i plan on doing some lightweight streaming and video recording. But will these specs still hold up for a good while ? If so how long ? if not what should i plan on upgrading next ? ( probably my gpu ) but i would just like some professional input on this ! Thank You.

Well, I've had my 4770k since 2013 and so far I haven't used it's HT ability because I am not playing any game that benefits from more than 4 cores.

According to Steam Survey, over 80% of the global playerbase is on dual core (yeah better believe it) and four core CPUs, so my guess is that 4 cores will remain relevant for a looooooooong time still.

Seriously doubt all those dual core players are getting a very good experience with 2018 and 2019 AAA games from major studios. Even 8 core CPU's at the same clock speed in the same family of CPU's as their 6 core counterparts (Ryzen 2600 vs 2700 for example or 1600 vs 1700) are seeing improved performance in many titles now.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Seriously doubt all those dual core players are getting a very good experience with 2018 and 2019 AAA games from major studios. Even 8 core CPU's at the same clock speed in the same family of CPU's as their 6 core counterparts (Ryzen 2600 vs 2700 for example or 1600 vs 1700) are seeing improved performance in many titles now.

If they didn't get a very good experience with their dual core and quad core CPU's they would upgrade. Simple logic.

According to Steam Survey, 12% of the Global Playerbase is on 6 core CPU's and 2.23% on 8-core CPU's.

This whole affair with 6core and 8core cpu's is overblown. Put simply, the math would beg to differ.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's not mentioned is threads, just cores. That means 80% are also using pre-coffeelake i7's and i3's them being 2 core and 4 core cpus, and totally negating the huge amount of Indo-Asiatic players running around on the old FX 8 core cpus. Lga1155 is still a huge and viable market overthere as pc equipment prices are rediculously over-inflated, so globally just for Intel, I can easily see quads as a mainstream, but even i3 users may not have the resources to simply upgrade, as mentioned, as even an i3-i5 jump isn't worth the expense.

Globally, those numbers are seriously biased and misleading, even if somewhat accurate. And that's just Steam registered users, not actual users, discounting Bethesda.net, Origin, U-play etc