How future proof is this?

bkrish546

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Hi, I had a mac before I built my own pc. The mac was released in late 2009 and it still runs fine today for word and youtube, spotify etc., and thats nearly 8 years- impressive. It had a 3GHz intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram 1066mhz and a 500gb HDD @5400rpm. I want my build to last that long, and I have thought very carefully about my components. Ill explain in further detail but guys, how long will this build last before it starts to lag? Thanks

i5-7500- I chose it because the legendary i5-2500k lasted 6 years, so was hoping for this to last that long too.

h110m-s2h- chose it because it was cheap, and i just need a basic board. It does bottleneck my ram though, but otherwise, it does everything I want it to.

16gb corsair vengence dual channel (8x2gb)- I chose this because 16gb is considered overkill for the average consumer today. In 6 years time, it could be the sweet spot. Who knows? Problem is that the ram is 2400mhz but my motherboard only supports 2133 :(

RX 480 8GB- I occassionally play games like overwatch stuff on 1080p, and I want at least 50fps. Currently, I get a lot better than that, but in the future, who knows? 8gb ram should be fine in 6 years as 4gb is the 1080p sweet spot now. Plus, the rx480 peforms nicely in dx12 and vulkan.

Samsung 850 Evo- Its one of the fastest, best sata SSDs you can buy. Shouldn't slow down like that mac hard drive

500gb seasonic 7200.10 HDD- Slow, but ok for storing stuff like documents.

Cooler Master GX 750W- 750W should allow room for upgrades in 6 years time, considering my system only takes about 450 watts currently. Plus, I trust cooler master as a brand, and their 5 year warranty is excellent.

So guys, what do you reckon? Six years?

Solution
You would need a Skylake CPU to upgrade your Mobo BIOS.
Other things are fine.
If you are going to use this PC mainly as a workstation it would be fine in 5-6yrs, but gaming wise probably in 4 years that would not be enough for anything more than medium settings at max.
Change the slow HDD with a 1TB, price difference isn't that insane and you would find another 500gb handy, specially if you store a lot of video/pics.
with most pc now the newer cpu are good for a long time now. the newer intel cpu last few years are not blinding fast from one rev to the newer rev. the issue with most pc is the video cards now as both nvidia and amd are dropping new gpu every 12 months or so. over here in the us the 480 on fire sale as it going to be replaced soon.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
You would need a Skylake CPU to upgrade your Mobo BIOS.
Other things are fine.
If you are going to use this PC mainly as a workstation it would be fine in 5-6yrs, but gaming wise probably in 4 years that would not be enough for anything more than medium settings at max.
Change the slow HDD with a 1TB, price difference isn't that insane and you would find another 500gb handy, specially if you store a lot of video/pics.

Solution