How get XP to open a tar.gz file

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".

How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able to
do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).

But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

XP has no built in support for gzip or tar files. There are a number of
free programs that can handle these. I occasionally use 7-Zip which you can
download from http://www.7-zip.org/

Note that first you will un(g)zip the file (gzip is a compression format
widely used on Unix), and then you untar the resulting file (tar bundles
files into an one archive, and is also most widely used on Unix systems)
--

"Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
>I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
>
> How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
> do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
>
> But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

With an application that reads whatever kind of file a xxxxx.tar.gz is.

"Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
> I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
>
> How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
> do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
>
> But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Winzip can read and open these types of files.

"Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
>I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
>
> How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
> do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
>
> But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?

that will handle the tar extension

Try IZARC, it will handle just about all compressed file
types and is free. Works great.
http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

"tonyfair" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3bb201c48f9c$96f36460$a301280a@phx.gbl...