[SOLVED] How good are High Power PSUs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2841972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2841972

This is the one that I am considering to get. Its price is really low. Should I get it?

Solution
I actually have two choices right now. I will completely listen your opinion and do things in that way.

Right now I am using a Thermaltake Smart 650W PSU since 2017. I thought that is a good PSU until people in here says that it is not. I was not even going to get a quality one until I get a new 8-10 cores CPU with a new motherboard and cooler.
Today I bought an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO air cooler, people said that getting this one will be a better option than a 120mm water cooler. I hope I did not make a mistake. I would also like to hear your opinions about that too. Right now I am using Thermaltake Water 3.0 water cooling 120mm since 2017.
I also bought that High Power PSU anyway before its price went from 50 dollars to 70...
D

Deleted member 2841972

Not good. What sort of a system(specs) are you trying to power? You should look into a reliably built unit as opposed to a cheap PSU with a high wattage. Wattage isn't always everything in a build of a PSU.
7600K and GTX 1060. I will upgrade my CPU to 5800X or 10900K or something like that.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, if this was one of their actually certified units, they'd have that label, rather than make up a fake one. That 85+ label that's dummied up to look like an 80 Plus is absolutely fraudulent.

It's a shame that when a company does this kind of thing that all their certifications aren't pulled, legit or no.

D

Deleted member 2841972

No, it's the specific unit we're talking about. There are other High Power PSUs that are officialy certified, but the very unit we're talking about is not on the list. Like I said, High Power makes decent PSUs, but that doesn't mean that they don't make garbage PSUs as well.
Yeah, if this was one of their actually certified units, they'd have that label, rather than make up a fake one. That 85+ label that's dummied up to look like an 80 Plus is absolutely fraudulent.

It's a shame that when a company does this kind of thing that all their certifications aren't pulled, legit or no.
I think that is the official page: http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/products.php?id=20200723162044

ECO Series > ECO II BR > ECO II BR700 is my product. Here is the product's page: http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/products_main.php?class=20200723162044&id=20200828105516

And looks like the website that I am going to get this PSU is an official Turkey distributor for High Power. Found an "About Us" page on their website and I see the brand: https://www.teknobiyotik.com/hakkimizda/

DSzymborski

Titan
I think that is the official page: http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/products.php?id=20200723162044

ECO Series > ECO II BR > ECO II BR700 is my product. Here is the product's page: http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/products_main.php?class=20200723162044&id=20200828105516

And looks like the website that I am going to get this PSU is an official Turkey distributor for High Power. Found an "About Us" page on their website and I see the brand: https://www.teknobiyotik.com/hakkimizda/

Yeah, that's the PSU we're talking about and again, that's a PSU with a fake certification. If that's your standard for protection for your equipment that you paid money for, that's your decision. 80 Plus certification isn't given to brands, it's given to specific PSUs. It's also quite clearly not a modern design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2841972

Yeah, that's the PSU we're talking about and again, that's a PSU with a fake certification. If that's your standard for protection for your equipment that you paid money for, that's your decision. 80 Plus certification isn't given to brands, it's given to specific PSUs. It's also quite clearly not a modern design.
I got the point. They actually say that the PSU has 85+ efficiency, but nothing certificated. If they are that efficient, how can't they get a 80 Plus certification for that model, even a Bronze... They just putted a random 85+ logo all over their page and thats it I guess.
Says https://prnt.sc/10ba3bb but it has no 80+ certificate.

DSzymborski

Titan
I got the point. They actually say that the PSU has 85+ efficiency, but nothing certificated. If they are that efficient, how can't they get a 80 Plus certification for that model, even a Bronze... They just putted a random 85+ logo all over their page and thats it I guess.
Says https://prnt.sc/10ba3bb but it has no 80+ certificate.

It's more than that. A 230V PSU has to be 88% at 50% load, at 85% at 20% and 100% load to be 80 Plus Bronze. That's 85% and 82% respectively for 80 Plus Standard.

And what's more is that this wouldn't be a good PSU even if it did have a certificate. From the wattage configuration, it's clearly an ancient design, something you don't want to use on modern equipment. And High Power/Sirfa isn't known for putting quality capacitors in their low-end units. That they gave themselves a fake certification just makes the PSU that much worse.

This is a very poor option with the equipment you have and the equipment you want. As anyone who works with people's problems around here can attest, there are few things more expensive than a cheap power supply.

D

Deleted member 2841972

It's more than that. A 230V PSU has to be 88% at 50% load, at 85% at 20% and 100% load to be 80 Plus Bronze. That's 85% and 82% respectively for 80 Plus Standard.

And what's more is that this wouldn't be a good PSU even if it did have a certificate. From the wattage configuration, it's clearly an ancient design, something you don't want to use on modern equipment. And High Power/Sirfa isn't known for putting quality capacitors in their low-end units. That they gave themselves a fake certification just makes the PSU that much worse.

This is a very poor option with the equipment you have and the equipment you want. As anyone who works with people's problems around here can attest, there are few things more expensive than a cheap power supply.
Yes, that's how they did it, and it is one of reason why you should avoid the PSU.
I actually have two choices right now. I will completely listen your opinion and do things in that way.

Right now I am using a Thermaltake Smart 650W PSU since 2017. I thought that is a good PSU until people in here says that it is not. I was not even going to get a quality one until I get a new 8-10 cores CPU with a new motherboard and cooler.
Today I bought an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO air cooler, people said that getting this one will be a better option than a 120mm water cooler. I hope I did not make a mistake. I would also like to hear your opinions about that too. Right now I am using Thermaltake Water 3.0 water cooling 120mm since 2017.
I also bought that High Power PSU anyway before its price went from 50 dollars to 70 dollars. No worries, I just did not want to lose that discount if there was a misunderstanding about that PSU. As I said before, I have 2 choices:

1- I will stick to my Thermaltake Smart 650W PSU for now.
2- I will start to use that High Power 700W PSU.

Right now I can not afford a quality PSU, I got some capital goods and I don't want to spend that money on a new quality component. Please let me know what should I do. Should I stick to Smart 650W like I already do or should I open and use that High Power PSU? They write its very efficient and they used quality Taiwan capacitors. I mean who would say that they use bad components on their products. They could not even get an efficient certificate. In my country, all the people are suggesting High Power PSUs to each other and I've never seen a bad comment for that brand or the specific model. That's why I wanted to get that but people in this forum has a better knowledge I believe so wanted to ask it in here too. I bought it anyway but only for not losing the discount. I can refund it without issue.

Well, when I make recommendations, I am positioning myself if I were on the asker's position. So if I have a 7600K and GTX 1060 I would NOT use any of these two and get a quality unit, that's why I said it is better to avoid it altogether. There is a reason for that though, and it is that PSUs like those two has a high chance of shortening the lifespan of your precious motherboard and GPU.

They write its very efficient and they used quality Taiwan capacitors. I mean who would say that they use bad components on their products.
"Very efficient" claim should be supported by a corresponding certification, and Taiwanese capacitors is not uncommon. Almost every cheap PSUs use them.

In my country, all the people are suggesting High Power PSUs to each other and I've never seen a bad comment for that brand or the specific model.
That's not very convincing, right?

D

Deleted member 2841972

Well, when I make recommendations, I am positioning myself if I were on the asker's position. So if I have a 7600K and GTX 1060 I would NOT use any of these two and get a quality unit, that's why I said it is better to avoid it altogether. There is a reason for that though, and it is that PSUs like those two has a high chance of shortening the lifespan of your precious motherboard and GPU.

"Very efficient" claim should be supported by a corresponding certification, and Taiwanese capacitors is not uncommon. Almost every cheap PSUs use them.

That's not very convincing, right?
My 7600K was running on 90C for a long time. Getting a new cooler was my priority and today I got it. I refunded that PSU tho. Now my priority is getting a new CPU, motherboard and so a new quality PSU. I will follow great deals for PSUs so maybe I can get a good quality PSU for a cheaper price.
By the way, is it all about the brand of the PSU or are there some huge differencess between the models of a PSU brand?

DSzymborski

Titan

I also bought that High Power PSU anyway before its price went from 50 dollars to 70 dollars. No worries, I just did not want to lose that discount if there was a misunderstanding about that PSU. As I said before, I have 2 choices:

1- I will stick to my Thermaltake Smart 650W PSU for now.
2- I will start to use that High Power 700W PSU.

Right now I can not afford a quality PSU, I got some capital goods and I don't want to spend that money on a new quality component. Please let me know what should I do. Should I stick to Smart 650W like I already do or should I open and use that High Power PSU? They write its very efficient and they used quality Taiwan capacitors. I mean who would say that they use bad components on their products. They could not even get an efficient certificate. In my country, all the people are suggesting High Power PSUs to each other and I've never seen a bad comment for that brand or the specific model. That's why I wanted to get that but people in this forum has a better knowledge I believe so wanted to ask it in here too. I bought it anyway but only for not losing the discount. I can refund it without issue.

While the Thermaltake isn't very good, since the High Power isn't, either, so it makes sense to just continue using it rather than getting a second mediocre power supply. We keep a curated power supply list stickied in the Power Supplies forum and while everyone's going to disagree with something, it does a good job separating the good power supplies from the poor ones.

The may not be lying about Taiwanese capacitors as there's a large variance between companies and rating.

There are few brands that are recommendable across the board as it depends on the usage. For example, the Corsair VS, an entry-level power supply, is a perfectly serviceable power supply when you're talking rigs that don't use a lot of power, as in no overclocking and either integrated graphics or a discrete graphics card that doesn't use supplementary power (like most 1050 TIs). Your current power supply is of unimpressive quality, but it's also not likely dangerous for your current specs, as long as you're not overclocking; the GTX 1060 isn't particularly power-hungry. A better quality power supply is definitely recommended when talking about getting a high-end, recent Intel or AMD chip with eventually upgrading the GPU.

We go on a lot about power supplies and some people find it exhausting, but we see a lot of people coming here who see their components have shorter lives because they didn't spend $20 or $30 more on a power supply and now their $300 GPU is recycling center material. The more people we can save from that, the happier we are!

Reactions: refillable
Solution
How good are High Power PSUs?

Some good. Some bad.

This is the one that I am considering to get. Its price is really low. Should I get it?

This one in particular is not good.

D

Deleted member 2841972

While the Thermaltake isn't very good, since the High Power isn't, either, so it makes sense to just continue using it rather than getting a second mediocre power supply. We keep a curated power supply list stickied in the Power Supplies forum and while everyone's going to disagree with something, it does a good job separating the good power supplies from the poor ones.

The may not be lying about Taiwanese capacitors as there's a large variance between companies and rating.

There are few brands that are recommendable across the board as it depends on the usage. For example, the Corsair VS, an entry-level power supply, is a perfectly serviceable power supply when you're talking rigs that don't use a lot of power, as in no overclocking and either integrated graphics or a discrete graphics card that doesn't use supplementary power (like most 1050 TIs). Your current power supply is of unimpressive quality, but it's also not likely dangerous for your current specs, as long as you're not overclocking; the GTX 1060 isn't particularly power-hungry. A better quality power supply is definitely recommended when talking about getting a high-end, recent Intel or AMD chip with eventually upgrading the GPU.

We go on a lot about power supplies and some people find it exhausting, but we see a lot of people coming here who see their components have shorter lives because they didn't spend $20 or $30 more on a power supply and now their $300 GPU is recycling center material. The more people we can save from that, the happier we are!
Which brand and model would you recommend me to get if I was using a 5800X / 10900 / 10850K / 10900K/KF with an RTX 3060? Because I am still considering to get those at least. I would like to get a new PSU before getting those components.

By the way, is it all about the brand of the PSU or are there some huge differencess between the models of a PSU brand?
Nice! It's not about the brand, it's about the quality of each specific unit. Thermaltake for example, they have crap PSUs, decent PSUs, and great PSUs. Other brands are like this too.

This High Power PSU is good:
https://www.teknobiyotik.com/donani...gd-aktif-pfc-guc-kaynagi-hp1-j600gd-f12s.html

I haven't seen any reviews of it, but a gold unit from High Power sounds promising. Unlike that cheap High Power unit you showed earlier, it is officially certified on 80 Plus. Maybe @jonnyguru can say something about this?

Or if you want something that is well reviewed, you can take this one:
https://www.teknobiyotik.com/donani...0-gold-tam-moduler-guc-kaynagi-ssr-650fx.html

EDIT: Found some info on the High Power

Someone said it's the same platform as a PSU that Aris has reviewed, and the review says it's good. I don't know how should I trust it but comparing the pictures myself I can confirm they're the same. So if you are feeling more adventurous then this PSU seems like a good choice.

Last edited: