How good is a gforce 2 mx?? compared to tnt2??????

G

Help me ok? I need your opion and expertise on this

I have a
AMD Duron 800
128-pc 133
Riva tnt 2 32 meg
now....

In my area i saw Nvidia Gforce 2 mx for $125 canadian
I think thats cheap..

This card is better then tnt2 right??
I mean my tnt2 is a bottle neck and how much more performance will i gain in games... with the Gforce??

www.powersonic.bc.ca is my area store, go to part and video its there..
Let me know pleaseeeeeeee

thanks

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
The MX is a better card, but, if you wait a month or so, the Ge3's release will bring down the price of the Ge2 line. A GTS or Ultra would be a huge difference over your TNT.

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I am getting a 3d mark score of 6000 with a geforce 2 mx on a 1gig t-bird of course that’s with the video card over clocked I get 4800 stock while you are getting around 3000 with your tnt2. I don’t see why your cpu would be the bottle neck here, in all the tests I have read there is little difference between a 800 and 1000.
I am running the leadtek geforce 2 mx with dual out and a 80mm fan stuck on front.
mbaha

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"

G

I meant that my video card was the bottle neck
but..

I have scored very low in 3dmark
probably my video card
but im also running windows ME so.. i dont know what factors vary it in..
but..
o well

So is it worth it to get the Gforce 2 mx? i mean the only other card that wowed me was my Voodoo Banshee thats when i like was able to play any game good...
but when it died i bought the tnt2 it plays games ok..
but i want something that will jump my fps up a good notch
right now in quake 3 in 800x600 i get 50-70 fps
i mean its 100% playable but for my new machine i want something newer and good u know..

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would also say wait for the GF3s to come out. At that time, the prices of GF2s should be lower and more in your budget range. You should get a pretty good performance increase.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

KAOS

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
here's an idea of how much a geforce 2 mx improves your performance
i have a duron 700 with a tnt 2 m64 (PCI but it isn't a huge difference from agp)
i got a 3dmark 2000 score of 1742
i put in my friends winfast geforce 2 mx and got 4000 something (can't remember exactly what)
that's how much of a difference it made for me

"In a world of order, Kaos rules"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Come on Every one lets say it all together, before wusy gets a chance.

"THE CPU BECOMES BOTTLENECK"

Only kidding.

You should get a big improvement, especially if you play new dx7+ games. Althoug you'de be better off waiting a bit and getting a gts.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 03/11/01 12:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010302/index.html

This article shows the difference of the GeForce2 MX, GTS, Ultra. Pretty good read and comes with a number of benchmarks which show the GTS and Ultra's difference over the MX in different CPU's. Staggering, if you would ask my opinion. And now I am really thinking of saving the money to buy an Ultra. The difference is not as small as I thought.