Question How Good is the ASUS ExpertBook B1500?

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Hi, everyone.
A non-technically-inclined person asked me for some advice on getting a new laptop.
I was browsing around on Amazon.co.uk and found this ExpertBook B1500. I was looking at reviews of it on different sites, and most seem to list as a good laptop at the 700 pounds mark, but here it's selling from the ASUS store at 400 pounds.
Am I missing something somewhere? Is it as good as the reviews make it out to be?
The only issue I can see with it is that the battery life is pretty weak, but otherwise it looks quite amazing at the price.
It looks like a fairly decent all-rounder type that can do pretty much anything (within reason).
For gaming, for instance, I doubt I'll be able to find something at that level for anywhere close to the price...or am I wrong?
Thanks for any advice as always. I really appreciate this forum. :)

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't game on that laptop if the person asking for advice from you was asking for a laptop that can be used for gaming. The iGPU and the design of said laptop is such that you're using said laptop in office environments and casual content/media consumption.

What were the person's requirements from the laptop that's necessary for purchase?

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
I wouldn't game on that laptop if the person asking for advice from you was asking for a laptop that can be used for gaming. The iGPU and the design of said laptop is such that you're using said laptop in office environments and casual content/media consumption.

What were the person's requirements from the laptop that's necessary for purchase?
Hi, mate.
He currently uses an Acer E15 with an I3 8130U. See here. Obviously, he put an SSD in there, but didn't do any other upgrades.
He uses it for his regular work (regular MS Office stuff, Zoom meetings, etc., etc.) and light gaming, nothing extravagant either way. Overall, it's been serving him well, but he was looking for a computer for his wife and thought of maybe giving her the E15 if he saw something a better at a cheap price, so I recommended that to him.

An interesting thing about the E15, is that it almost seems like it's build was meant for a gaming laptop, but then they stuck an i3 and no GPU inside instead (or maybe just a mishmash of extra parts they had on hand?). In general, it seems to stay cool reasonably well and throttle less than other laptops with "better specs."

I thought the Iris XE was supposed to be quite amazing for integrated graphics? By the way, I'm not talking about gaming with a discrete card or 4K or something. much more casual than that (Low settings, maybe 1080p or a bit less). :)