[SOLVED] How good is this setup for under $1000?

Solution
Hey everyone, I've modified my list from last time, adding more RGB and a cheaper case, and other adjustments as well, now I wanted to know, is this a good setup build under $1000? Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrmjp
Thats pretty poor part selection, you can do so much better for that budget...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $174.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $119.99 @ Newegg...
Hey everyone, I've modified my list from last time, adding more RGB and a cheaper case, and other adjustments as well, now I wanted to know, is this a good setup build under $1000? Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrmjp

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $119.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card | $229.99 @ Newegg
Case | GameMax Kage ATX Mid Tower Case | $40.79 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ Newegg
Monitor | BenQ EW2480 23.8" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor | $149.99 @ Adorama
Keyboard | HP Wireless Classic Desktop Wireless Standard Keyboard With Laser Mouse | $20.99 @ Adorama
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1015.71
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| Total | $1005.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 22:13 EDT-0400 |

Solution

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
A Crucial P2 on top of the P1? And praytell, would that promo code be for the 3600?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $119.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card | $229.99 @ Newegg
Case | GameMax Kage ATX Mid Tower Case | $40.79 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ Newegg
Monitor | BenQ EW2480 23.8" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor | $149.99 @ Adorama
Keyboard | HP Wireless Classic Desktop Wireless Standard Keyboard With Laser Mouse | $20.99 @ Adorama
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1015.71
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| Total | $1005.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 22:13 EDT-0400 |
First off, as I said, I included RGB in the setup for on purpose and for a reason, second, I want more than enough power to max out 1080 60FPS gaming on most, if not all games, with the capability of VR, while still providing a good looking setup, and decent quality peripherals. this part list you have provided not only voids the RGB factor I wanted, but it focuses too much on sheer gaming power to the point where you have included a very cheap keyboard and mouse that is bound to break down within a year! I made this list with the help of other moderators on this forum, taking in each of their advice to create a setup that has all of my wants and needs, I am not going for the most powerful PC I can get for my budget, I am looking for a setup that has a good balance of gaming power and aesthetics.

Reactions: altVortex
First off, as I said, I included RGB in the setup for on purpose and for a reason, second, I want more than enough power to max out 1080 60FPS gaming on most, if not all games, with the capability of VR, while still providing a good looking setup, and decent quality peripherals. this part list you have provided not only voids the RGB factor I wanted, but it focuses too much on sheer gaming power to the point where you have included a very cheap keyboard and mouse that is bound to break down within a year! I made this list with the help of other moderators on this forum, taking in each of their advice to create a setup that has all of my wants and needs, I am not going for the most powerful PC I can get for my budget, I am looking for a setup that has a good balance of gaming power and aesthetics.
Keyboard and mouse can be replaced anytime without hassle but your core system replacement will be bit more difficult. The parts I suggested not only gives you more performance but will last you longer down the line. But if thats not your priority, thats ok.

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Keyboard and mouse can be replaced anytime without hassle but your core system replacement will be bit more difficult. The parts I suggested not only gives you more performance but will last you longer down the line. But if thats not your priority, thats ok.
I do see your point, but I definitely don't want to have to switch and replace RGB fans later on as I would have to unplug and replug fan cables nor buy a new RGB keyboard and mouse (with a current situation going on, I might not be able to get it down the line), however, the only thing I would see necessary to change down the road would be the RX 580, which would only take less than 10 minutes, and change the 2600, which I would only have to reapply the thermal paste after I've taken off the cooler and replaced the CPU.

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
But I do wanna ask for your opinion, I've found cheaper RAM with less CAS latency and has RGB in it, is it a good option? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W3t9L2

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Some of the secondary brands are hit and miss with Ryzen, atleast upto the 4xxx series chipsets. But I can see some people have reviewed it with Ryzen, so there shouldn't be any issue.
One more thing, so if I put the PC towards me, so the RGB part of the case at the front is towards me, and the RAM is actually brighter than a decent bit of rgb GPU's, I was wondering if do in fact keep all three of the fans I plan on putting on the build, will two fans be sensible at the front? Should I cut one or both of them? Or should I put on of them as an extra exhaust? (please do correct me if there is no space to put another exhaust in the case)

One more thing, so if I put the PC towards me, so the RGB part of the case at the front is towards me, and the RAM is actually brighter than a decent bit of rgb GPU's, I was wondering if do in fact keep all three of the fans I plan on putting on the build, will two fans be sensible at the front? Should I cut one or both of them? Or should I put on of them as an extra exhaust? (please do correct me if there is no space to put another exhaust in the case)
As far as I can see, that case comes with one exhaust of 80mm preinstalled and two other 120mm slots in the front. That 3rd 120mm fan you have selected does not apply anywhere. You can only install two fans in the front which you should for max airflow.

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
As far as I can see, that case comes with one exhaust of 80mm preinstalled and two other 120mm slots in the front. That 3rd 120mm fan you have selected does not apply anywhere. You can only install two fans in the front which you should for max airflow.
Well actually, I should've clarified that I was going to replace that rear exhaust fan with one of the fans, leaving the other two for installation at the front.

EDIT: I just realized you said the rear exhaust was 80mm and not 120mm like all three of the fans I've selected are, gonna have to go with only two extra fans like you said.

Last edited:

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
I've rechecked the case and it looks like there is a space for a fan at the top? But I can't tell if it's also 80mm just like the rear exhaust.