• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question How good of an idea is to keep using a worn out battery?

Jul 31, 2020
TL;DR: could it be any downside in heavily using a worn-out battery to 23% of its original capacity in a gaming laptop?

Hello, I have a Dell 7577. I bought it in 2018 and as it was my first laptop with a decent GPU, I didn't know how quickly the battery of these things wear out.
By the end of 2019, my battery was about 60% of its original capacity (this level of deterioration was probably caused by me using for months a misconfigured Linux distribution with the discrete GPU constantly enabled). At that time I had already bought a new battery but then I waited a bit to put it on because I was on holiday for some months and would have the AC adaptor close to me almost daily. Then covid came and it's been 2 years without replacing the battery as I use the notebook daily for hours constantly plugged.
By this time, the total capacity of the battery is 23% of its original capacity, so it is pretty worn out.

In my country covid will probably keep going during the rest of the year, therefore I will keep my laptop mainly plugged in. Could it be any downside to using a worn-out battery like this? any possibility of damaged components? In these lands, a simple spare battery costs quite a bit, that's why I would prefer to extend the usage of my current battery as much as possible.

ASK THE COMMUNITY