[SOLVED] How greedy of a (21:9) monitor can I get with my hardware ?

Cole31

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
i7 8700k with a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
Asus Prime H370-A motherboard
DDR4 16GB 2133Mhz C13 Corsair Vengeance
GTX 2070

With a good case, SSD, Power etc.

What kind of performances is it reasonable to expect when it comes to 21:9 gaming monitors ? I assume 1440p is noprob, is a higher resolution AND keep kinda high FPS an option, or nah ?

Thank you !

Solution
Admittedly, a good quality 2560x1080 will still look quite nice at 34". The PPI may be a bit lower than is generally considered ideal. On the plus side, it requires less GPU horsepower to drive it. Though, with a 2070 card, the 3440x1440 shouldn't give it much trouble.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Admittedly, a good quality 2560x1080 will still look quite nice at 34". The PPI may be a bit lower than is generally considered ideal. On the plus side, it requires less GPU horsepower to drive it. Though, with a 2070 card, the 3440x1440 shouldn't give it much trouble.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depends on the game. SOTR will struggle for example

True. And Ashes Of The Singularity apparently brings all video cards to their knees.

Btw, if you get a 2560x1440 monitor, it's the same width as a 2560x1080p monitor, without the bad aspect ratio.

Uh, not even close to true. I've seen 21:9 monitors in 29, 32, 34, and 35 inch sizes, and 16:9 monitors all over the place in size. Same number of horizontal pixels, but not same width.

And there's nothing bad about the 21:9 apsect ratio. With the exception of a few badly developed games that can't handle it properly, it's a rather significant benefit getting the wider field of view. Once you switch, there's almost no going back.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
True. And Ashes Of The Singularity apparently brings all video cards to their knees.

Uh, not even close to true. I've seen 21:9 monitors in 29, 32, 34, and 35 inch sizes, and 16:9 monitors all over the place in size. Same number of horizontal pixels, but not same width.

And there's nothing bad about the 21:9 apsect ratio. With the exception of a few badly developed games that can't handle it properly, it's a rather significant benefit getting the wider field of view. Once you switch, there's almost no going back.
A 29in 2560x1080 monitor has 301.71 square inches of surface area.
A 27in 2560*1440 monitor has 310.2 square inches of surface area.

Should have said horizontal pixels but the size of 21:9 monitors is very misleading as a "smaller" monitor in 16:9 actually can have more surface area

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
True, but, consequently, the size of 16:9 monitors might be said to be equally misleading as a smaller 4:3 monitor can have more surface area.

I also would not recommend a 29 inch 21:9 monitor.

Any which way, if possible, it's a good idea to go to a shop that has a lot of monitors on display, and see what they look like. For gaming, it's exceptionally satisfying to go 21:9, in my opinion.

I agree, my brother's 29" 21:9 feels small (because of the small vertical height).

He does play plenty of games that truncate down to 16:9 still. Certainly modern and/or AAA titles would/should have 21:9 support, but if you stray too far away from the mainstream, or too far back in time, you won't be able to take full advantage of that extra real-estate. Obviously going forward, 21:9 support should continue to improve.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I doubt that would be a problem unless you are extremely close to the screen.

Plus, consider: if it's the edges of the screen that you couldn't see, that is the part of the view that would have been completely off screen with a 16:9 monitor.