[SOLVED] How high is Top of CPU on Z690 MB?

Nov 23, 2021
Looking to build a system and want to figure what height of Air cooler will fit.
I have 173mm clearance above my old MB to case side but don't know how much higher this new CPU sits vs my old 2500K.
Looks to be about 10mm above surface of MB but given that some coolers are 165 mm high then 10mm would then stick up 2mm too far for a 165 cooler
Anyone know the precise number of the height of the CPU in the socket?

Solution
Yep, and I was going to point out that it varies from motherboard to motherboard (PCB thickness), but they will stay within a reasonable range.

My old H80i had trouble with certain ASUS boards, the cooler couldn't get enough pressure to mount properly. Probably not even capable of making contact with an LGA1700 mount without some help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/reusing-old-lga15xx-cooler-alder-lake-may-not-be-good-idea
"In addition to the change in dimensions, Z-height for Alder Lake changes substantially as well. Z-height refers to the distance between the top of the motherboard PCB to the top of the IHS on the processor. For LGA1200, the Z-height was 7.312 to 8.249mm. Intel reduced the Z--height for LGA17000 between 6.529 to 7.532mm so it's evidently lower. This means that mounting pressure has also changed."

So they lowered it about 1 mm?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, and I was going to point out that it varies from motherboard to motherboard (PCB thickness), but they will stay within a reasonable range.

My old H80i had trouble with certain ASUS boards, the cooler couldn't get enough pressure to mount properly. Probably not even capable of making contact with an LGA1700 mount without some help.

Solution