how hot can a gpu run without damage

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
im wondering because I have 2 radeon 7850's in crossfire and I have excellent case antec 1200 all fans ect but card still gets up to 92c and the other one only about 78c

I have heard gpu's can run a bit hotter then cpu's sdo does anyone now at what tempature would kill the card to soon cause id like them to last 5yrs if possable

Solution
92c is within the operating limit of the GPU, but it is still hot. I like to see cards top out in the mid to low 80's.

Is this just one of the cards or both? The top card typically runs a little warmer than the bottom one in Crossfire.

For longevity, I wold consider doing two things:

First, I would make sure the fan speed profile for the fan is operating at maximum RPM above 80c.

If so, I would then remove the heatsink and re-apply a quality thermal compound.

If that doesn't work, I would consider aftermarket VGA cooling.

Also, if you could, link the model of 7850 you have.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
92c is within the operating limit of the GPU, but it is still hot. I like to see cards top out in the mid to low 80's.

Is this just one of the cards or both? The top card typically runs a little warmer than the bottom one in Crossfire.

For longevity, I wold consider doing two things:

First, I would make sure the fan speed profile for the fan is operating at maximum RPM above 80c.

If so, I would then remove the heatsink and re-apply a quality thermal compound.

If that doesn't work, I would consider aftermarket VGA cooling.

Also, if you could, link the model of 7850 you have.

Solution