Question How hot can I let my cpu get?

xot1ko

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
Under load my cpu sometimes reaches 88 degrees celsius. My pc is brand new I got a i5-9600k with a cooler master hyper 412r. I havn't overclocked my cpu and I think the airflow in my case is good, I got 3 intake fans at the front of the case and 1 outtake on the back and 1 outtake fan on the top.

88 Celsius seems really hight to me, is it okay to let it get that hot?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's pretty high, especially for a stock clock cpu, and not a good to idea to keep it that way. i'd remove the heatsink and reapply thermal paste to start with.

the max temp is 100 degrees and it will shut itself down before it gets hot enough to do quick damage, but long term, high temps will still shorten the life of the chip considerably.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Under load ... 88 degrees celsius ... i5-9600k ... hyper 412r ... haven't overclocked ... airflow in my case is good ... is it okay to let it get that hot?

xot1ko,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Although "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Accordingly, it’s never advisable to run a CPU near it's thermal limit. Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.[/B]

• What was your ambient (room) temperature?

The "standard" for normal ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F. All computer temperatures increase and decrease ~ 1:1 with ambient temperature. We have members who live near the arctic circle with indoor ambient at 10°C (50°F) or near the equator without A/C at 40°C (104°F). Ambient temperature can be a HUGE variable, so we need to know.

• What case, and why only a CM Hyper 412R, which is a 92mm fan class cooler?

A six core processor that's capable of power consumptions near 150 Watts should have a more capable 120mm fan class cooler, especially for those who intend to overclock.

• What "load"?

Loads vary widely. Intel validates Thermal Specifications using a steady-state (non-fluctuating) 100% TDP workload. Only Prime95 version 26.6 running the Small FFT's torture test meets that criterion.

Prime95 v26.6 - https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

When discussing processor temperatures, there are 3 major variables that must always be considered:

(1) Environmental conditions
(2) Hardware configurations
(3) Software workloads

The information you've included addresses only the hardware aspect of these variables.

In order to provide any meaningful conclusions, it's always necessary to state what your ambient temperature was at the time of testing, and exactly what workload was used for testing. Without this basic information, it's impossible to compare apples to apples.

Please provide more complete and specific information so we can best help you.

Also, I strongly recommend that you read our guide: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

It's a Sticky near the top of the CPUs Forum; if you look you can't miss it. Nearly all our Forums have Stickies, which are threads that are informative resources permanently "stuck" in place and are always available as reference material for everyone's benefit.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT 😎

xot1ko

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply, here are some more details.

My case is a corsair spec delta to wich I added one outtake fan on the top. My gpu is a rtx 2070 which runs at normal temperatures of max 71 C after multiple hours of gaming.
The ambient temperature in my room is about 21 or 22 C, when I run a cinebench (version R20.0) cpu benchmark my cpu reaches a temperature of 88 C (it was 35 C before I started the test). I first discovered that my cpu was running this hot while playing AC-origins which gives my cpu a constant 95%+ workload.

About the cooler, I thought this one would do the job I don't intend on overclocking but I think I should have gotten a better one if I see how bad it performs now.

Wessam_1

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
i have the same cpu overclocked @ 4.7ghz that reaches max 72 on cinebench test, my cooler is hyper evo 212, which should perform the same or a bit worse than your cooler, its obvious its not a cooler problem then

you should start by checking your vcore , it should be something like 1.1xx under load
if your voltage is normal then you may want to check the installation of your cooler and re add the thermal paste correctly

xot1ko

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
i have the same cpu overclocked @ 4.7ghz that reaches max 72 on cinebench test, my cooler is hyper evo 212, which should perform the same or a bit worse than your cooler, its obvious its not a cooler problem then

you should start by checking your vcore , it should be something like 1.1xx under load
if your voltage is normal then you may want to check the installation of your cooler and re add the thermal paste correctly

I checked my vcore while under load and it is 1.272 or even 1.28x, I think that is my problem.
Now I got the question how can this happen I did not touch my cpu voltage or core clock and how do I get this back to normal?

Wessam_1

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
I checked my vcore while under load and it is 1.272 or even 1.28x, I think that is my problem.
Now I got the question how can this happen I did not touch my cpu voltage or core clock and how do I get this back to normal?

that's too much for stock clocks, check the vcore on your bios, if you found it on auto then you have one of the brands that give much voltage room for overclocking purposes on auto, you can change it to normal 1.2000 and then add a negative value until you reach around 1.165v for your stock, this may vary according to your mb so please post which board you have

xot1ko

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
I got a z370 d3 motherboard, and I just checked in my bios and it is indeed on auto but I dont know how to change it.(found it)

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As I pointed out in my previous post, you're running a CM Hyper 412R, which is only a 92mm fan class cooler on a six core processor that's capable of power consumptions near 150 Watts.

You should instead be running a more capable 120mm fan class cooler. Since the specifications for your case show maximum cooler height of 160mm, you have room to upgrade the cooler.

For example, the CM Hyper 212 EVO that Wessam_1 is running is a 120mm fan class cooler which is 158mm high, so this cooler, as well as other more capable coolers will fit in your case.

CT 😎

Wessam_1

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
gigabyte bios are the same as mine, type n when you are on the vcore tab and it will give you the (normal) option, press enter to enable it and you will get access to the tab right under it that let you add + or - values , press - on your keyboard and try -045, then press F10 and re check the voltage under load, if its still high go back to bios and tybe -065 instead if -045, then F10 to save and recheck, when you reach around 1.160 to 1.170v leave it like that and you will notice a huge improvement in temps, also this method allows the cpu to idle on lower vcore as Auto.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Keep in mind that if you intend to overclock your 9600K, you'll be increasing Vcore, which means you're still going to need a bigger cooler.

Also, since you stated that your ambient temperature is about 21 or 22°C, which is normal, if your indoor ambient increases during warmer months, then your Core temperatures will increase by an equal amount.

CT 😎

xot1ko

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
Next time I will probably spend a little more on a better cooler but for now this one will do.