[SOLVED] how hot is cool enough 1660?

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
shor version I have a 1660 that I figure is kind of noisy and I want to adjust the fan curves,

in very demanding games the fans rocket over 60% to try keep the gpu always around/under 40c

I guess it would have some kind of protection built in to stop any serious damage but i want to know how hot under load I can safely keep the gpu at ?

Thanks

Solution
stay below 80C is what I heard too but aren't there specs on what kind of thermals the chips can comfortably run on?
You can look up the vbios for a specific card if you want, here, but you'll find that many of the Turing cards have throttle limits of 83-84C, with a max around 90C - at that point, the gpu is looking to shut the PC off on you if thermals get that high.
It makes sense that 80C or below is best.

isn't it possible to set a power curve too, where the power into the card is lowered at cost of performance to keep the card cooler ?
Power curve, no.
Voltage-frequency curve and fan curve, yes.
But how many people willingly want to do that knowing it can hinder performance though?
You really should set your...

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
stay below 80C is what I heard too but aren't there specs on what kind of thermals the chips can comfortably run on?

bit of a follow up quesiton but isn't it possible to set a power curve too, where the power into the card is lowered at cost of performance to keep the card cooler ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can look up the vbios for a specific card if you want, here, but you'll find that many of the Turing cards have throttle limits of 83-84C, with a max around 90C - at that point, the gpu is looking to shut the PC off on you if thermals get that high.
It makes sense that 80C or below is best.

isn't it possible to set a power curve too, where the power into the card is lowered at cost of performance to keep the card cooler ?
Power curve, no.
Voltage-frequency curve and fan curve, yes.
But how many people willingly want to do that knowing it can hinder performance though?
You really should set your own fan curve - the stock curves have always sucked.

Solution