How hot is too hot for a gaming laptop?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
I have a 2021 Asus TUF Dash F15 that I bought July 2021. I have only de-dusted it twice in its lifetime and I cannot believe the difference in temps I am seeing.

For example, on BFV I was seeing 90c+ temps in campaign mode, but I have yet to play it since cleaning it last week. With other games such as Doom Eternal and Far Cry 2 I am barely breaching 80c. I don't think the laptop has ever ran this cool since I bought it. Doom 2016 would run at 80-85c CPU wise and GTAV would almost reach 90 .I used a about 1/3 to 1/2 a can of compressed air on it cleaning everything out really well.

Any ideas as to what a normal temp for this laptop should be?

Specs are intel i7 11375h quad core 4.3-5ghz cpu with 100c max temp.

GPU is an 85watt RTX 3070 Laptop that doesn't breach 65-70c.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I make cleaning an every 4-6 week operation on my desktops, with a heavy cleaning once a year or so. I do about once a month or so on the laptop when it is in use regularly. Just by design a laptop is going to run hot. Given all the variables involved it would be hard to say what your operating temps should be, but stick to a regular cleaning regimen such that if it isn't throttling or causing other issues it shouldn't be of concern.

Of note, I ALWAYS use my laptop on a hard surface. Even on the couch or bed I put a tray or cooler under it. Don't set your gaming lappy on the comforter on your bed wondering why it could be running hot...

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
I make cleaning an every 4-6 week operation on my desktops, with a heavy cleaning once a year or so. I do about once a month or so on the laptop when it is in use regularly. Just by design a laptop is going to run hot. Given all the variables involved it would be hard to say what your operating temps should be, but stick to a regular cleaning regimen such that if it isn't throttling or causing other issues it shouldn't be of concern.

Of note, I ALWAYS use my laptop on a hard surface. Even on the couch or bed I put a tray or cooler under it. Don't set your gaming lappy on the comforter on your bed wondering why it could be running hot...
I have my laptop setup on an aluminum stand that raises it about 8 inches off the ground in the rear where the fans are. Made some difference.

Unfortunately "CPU temperature" could mean anything from what the CPU reports. HWiNFO picks up 8 main sensors, but only one should be paid attention to which is an average of all of the sensors over a quarter second period. What you're reading may be an instantaneous measurement of the hottest part at that point, which makes things look scarier than it they actually are. If you use HWiNFO, look at "CPU Package"

~70C is normal for the GPU. They're designed to operate up to there anyway in their desktop variants.

Either way, unless you're thermal throttling, which I define as the parts going below base clock speeds, I don't really see a problem with the temperature.