How hot is too hot???

texasbobby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
I have a P4 3.4Ghz running with a Zalman 7700 all copper heatsink/120mm fan, plus dual 120mm fans in the front and back of my case.

Here's my question....at idle, my Prescott runs about 40-43 degrees Celsius, but at full load it goes up to 55-57 degrees Celsius. Is that too hot? Do I have a problem?

The Intel guys say "Naw....no problem. It can run like that all day long." But...I trust those weasels about as far as I can throw an elephant.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!!

Texasbobby

RichPLS

Champion
That is about normal for on air...Worry when it approaches 70

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
That is about normal for on air...Worry when it approaches 70

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im running the same CPU. List your system specs, there arent very many of us around here. Its good to have other rigs to compare numbers with.

For that CPU running on air you are OK. You should also be aware that the Northbridge is prone to get way to hot also.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You'd better practice your elephant tossing. Those are the same temps my Northwood runs albeit I am a tad overclocked. No problem with those temps at all!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot