Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I just upgraded my PC to a P4 3.0E from a 2.8E, and now it seems to be overheating...Running at 150F-160F. Is this normal? Because I keep getting random crashes when I run too much stuff at once (This did not happen before I upgraded).

P.S. I replaced the CPU, because I thought it was defective, it didn't do anything but make the crashing less common.

"What do you mean I don't pay my bills? Why do you think I'm broke?."

I consider anything less than 60° celsius to be acceptable. You are obvisuly over this temperature. Do you run these temperatures at idle, or while the CPU is under load?

When you upgrade did you use the retail heatsink, or did you re-use an old one? Did the heatsink already have the heat transfer material on it or did you apply thermal grease yourself?

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
That was the tempurature my BIOS showed right after a crash.

I used the retail fan (new), and it didn't help , so I bought an aftermarket copper fan. That didn't help anymore either.

I have an MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R Mainboard, with all but the very latest BIOS, do you think a flash would make ANY difference? I'm loosing my mind, and about to downgrade back to the 2.8E

I doubt flashing your BIOS would affect anything, but you never know. Of course, my last BIOS update was to fix the CPU temperature reading 10-15° celsius low (Giga-Byte motherboad problem).

Obvisuly the 3.0 may run a little hotter than the 2.8, but this really shouldn't be noticeable. It is very strange to since you even used the retail heatsink, and then better yet a copper one.

How about proper air flow in your computer case? I assume you have other fans in your PC case, are they all working and flowing in the correct direction?

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
just to let u know i o/c my 2.8e to 3.01 and the temprature incressed by 1-2c dunno if that helps in anyway.

If u do things right.... People won't be sure you've done anything at all......

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Humm...if the tempurature is only a slight difference, then perhaps something else is dieing and it's just cooinsidence (Sp) that it happend after the CPU swap.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Maybe he got a chance you never know?
I upgraded from 2600+ to a 2700+ before, cuz i thought my 2600+ was defective, and then at same time, I got a chance to sell my 2600+ with a good price, so I didn't lose much..
BUT, that's still the WORST upgrade I ever did in my life :redface:

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
P4E's do run insanely hot, but 150-160 (65°C-71°C) is too high for iddle, even for a prescott. If those temps are achieved under load (like running prime), I'd say its normal for a P4E.

The crashing however, could also be caused by other factors. Did you test your RAM ? Try running memtest86 for a few hours. Other frequent causes include :
- Dying motherboard (<A HREF="http://www.badcaps.com/ident" target="_new">http://www.badcaps.com/ident</A>)
- Power supply (check voltages i BIOS, try another PSU if you can)

Especially since you have this problem with 2 cpu's, I think its something else that is causing it...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Advocatus

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
On a related note, I've got a 2.8GHz Pent 4 (512K cache). It's running(idle is less) at 145F (62.8C). I feel this is hot. Is there a site that has acceptable running temperatures? Any help you could offer would be great. Thanks

G

Thats pretty hot for a P4C .
Check if your heatsink is seated properly and that its not dusty etc...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Advocatus

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
It's actually a brand new Dell 400SC server. So it shouldn't be dusty, and I trust the dell techs to seat the heatsink properly (certainly more then I would trust myself to reseat it properly)
Thanks labbbby

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh. Well that explains everything then. It's a Dell. Those <font color=red><System Error: Explitive too vile for English language to compensate></font color=red>!

No seriously, Dell cuts corners harder than an ace race car driver. They're the new Packard Hell.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>