How hot should a 9800 pro run?

Lou

I have the Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler and fan on my 9800 PRO. It has an
adjustable fan so you can run the fan slower to make it quiet, but it will
get hotter. I want to run it as quiet as possible, but with a temp sensor
placed at the base of the heatsink I get +60c under load.
I saw the Arctic -cooling HSF add and it said that it runs at 58c on low
speed(dont know if thats at idle or under load) and also it said that a
stock 9800 pro HSF runs at 79.6c.

What temp do you think I should see or run the card at?

Thanks,
Lou

"Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote in message news:<xwHkc.9136$Fo4.114860@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> I have the Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler and fan on my 9800 PRO. It has an
> adjustable fan so you can run the fan slower to make it quiet, but it will
> get hotter. I want to run it as quiet as possible, but with a temp sensor
> placed at the base of the heatsink I get +60c under load.
> I saw the Arctic -cooling HSF add and it said that it runs at 58c on low
> speed(dont know if thats at idle or under load) and also it said that a
> stock 9800 pro HSF runs at 79.6c.
>
> What temp do you think I should see or run the card at?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou

Fan is at 12v or at 5v.

And yes the 9800 Pro is a HOT chip... but with good case cooling and
the right stuff it can be effectively cooled down!

It's simple. Turn fan to minimun, and run some heavy 3d game for an hour or
2. Then if your card is stable, i.e do not re-boot or crash, you're safe.

"Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> I have the Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler and fan on my 9800 PRO. It has an
> adjustable fan so you can run the fan slower to make it quiet, but it will
> get hotter. I want to run it as quiet as possible, but with a temp sensor
> placed at the base of the heatsink I get +60c under load.
> I saw the Arctic -cooling HSF add and it said that it runs at 58c on low
> speed(dont know if thats at idle or under load) and also it said that a
> stock 9800 pro HSF runs at 79.6c.
>
> What temp do you think I should see or run the card at?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou

Lou

O.K. , I thought about doing that ,but I was worried that I might damage or
shorten the life of the card by running it at or near its maximum temp.
Thanks,
Lou