How hot should GPU get gaming at 1440p ultra settings?

Shcotttty

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hey everyone!

I am wondering how approximately how hot a GPU should get when gaming at 1440p on ultra settings. I currently use a 27 inch Acer Predator 2650x1440p 165hz. I recently got an EVGA 1070 FE and when I play any normal AAA game (Overwatch, League, Diablo, SC2) or anything demanding it sits aroud 79-80c. During more demanding parts it goes from 80 and I have seen it top out at 83, but never higher even at the most demanding times. I have not changed any fan settings in any of the software that it came with (EVGA precision) or MSI Afterburner.

I was wondering if these temperatures are normal and/or OK for multiple hours of sustained gaming on a daily basis. Anywhere from 2 to 6 hours at a time. I just want to be sure these temperatures aren't out of the ordinary, or if I should add some sort of custom fan (curve?) setup with software. Thanks so much for the help!

Diddly

Distinguished
80 seems a bit high even for FE, doesn't leave much head room. The FE should be exhausting the heat straight out of the case. Just make sure you have enough fresh air coming into the case to match the air flow of the CPU and GPU and enough exhaust fans to extract the CPU heat. I think the Non-FE versions will have better coolers though. At least better for cooling the GPU but you'd need better case fans as there's no direct exhaust as with the FE. my GTX 970 usually maxes out at 55C.

you might want to tweak the fan curve to sacrifice quietness for lower GPU temps

Neurodrive

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I have the same (or comparable) Acer monitor and a 980 Ti. I run my games maxed out at 1440p and usually my load temps fall between 68-76C.

But like Rob said, the FE 1070 runs hot.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yours runs cooler because its not the Reference cooler edition, otherwise would likely be hitting similar temps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts