News How I Blasted Intel’s Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K to 7.14 GHz On All Cores

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Very interesting read. Looks like Intel has successfully decoup their process node and micro architect. Now the chip design team can go wild

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Selling CPU Intel i9-11900K , never overclocked, like new, only light usage, used by my grandmother for web browsing ....

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
"This is why seeing all the early leaks and even full out reviews under the guise of “we bought it retail so our NDA no longer matters” really was a joke. Shame on those that did that."
Uh, no. If it is available for retail, NDA does not matter. Full stop. That isn't a matter of opinion, it is a fact. And the microcode changes may have been key for stunt overclocking like this, it did not materially change the real world performance of the processor. They entire thing was and continues to be a mess (as Hardware Unboxed has again highlighted).
Also, if you are trying to <Mod Edit> talk about Dr. Ian Curtress to imply your superiority, I think you may have filled the room up with too much nitrogen as your brain cells are oxygen deprived.

Last edited by a moderator:

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
When core and TDP regressing, backporting and what not, gets a nice fat pat on the back by non other than Tom's, saying "a nice ending to the 14nm gen...."
LOL.... you just can't make this <Mod Edit> up! :tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PBme

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Very interesting read. Looks like Intel has successfully decoup their process node and micro architect. Now the chip design team can go wild
I think the in the case of Rocket Lake, they are forced to decouple their process node and architect in order to stay competitive. But there are obvious downside to it because Rocket Lake despite being newer, is not able to outperform the 5 years old Sky Lake architecture in some cases. The lost of 2 cores also made the chip perform worst in multicore workload.

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
"This is why seeing all the early leaks and even full out reviews under the guise of “we bought it retail so our NDA no longer matters” really was a joke. Shame on those that did that."
Uh, no. If it is available for retail, NDA does not matter. Full stop. That isn't a matter of opinion, it is a fact. And the microcode changes may have been key for stunt overclocking like this, it did not materially change the real world performance of the processor. They entire thing was and continues to be a mess (as Hardware Unboxed has again highlighted).
Also, if you are trying to <Mod Edit> talk about Dr. Ian Curtress to imply your superiority, I think you may have filled the room up with too much nitrogen as your brain cells are oxygen deprived.
Thanks for clicking. You are welcome to your own opinion. I can assure you besides some covid weight gain I'm healthy.

When core and TDP regressing, backporting and what not, gets a nice fat pat on the back by non other than Tom's, saying "a nice ending to the 14nm gen...."
LOL.... you just can't make this <Mod Edit> up! :tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:
I had a lot of fun overclocking it, was a very smooth process that exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Thanks for clicking. You are welcome to your own opinion. I can assure you besides some covid weight gain I'm healthy.
NDA rules are not an opinion, it is a matter of legal fact. No one broke the NDA and early reviews are not materially different with reviews following additional updates. Both matters of fact, not opinion.
If you are referring to the value of the chip or the mess of their latest chipsets for it, that is not my opinion, it is of every major tech reviewer who is reviewing its performance, power draw and value vs previous offerings. The overall assessments have not changed since Dr. Cuttress first reported on it.
Great if it is a very useful chip for trying to set mhz records under liquid nitrogen, but that is a hobby that is irrelevant for everyone else and does nothing to invalidate the reviews that are about actual use.