• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question How important are heat sinks for PCIe4 SSDs?

Oct 24, 2019
I've upgraded my 12 year old computer about as far as I can and considering a totally new build with either a 3700X or 3900X and X570. I have a Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD I can move to the new build, but thinking I should get a PCIe4 SSD or I'd be wasting all that PCIe4 throughput. I'm not a gamer, but a web and mobile developer and I'm not doing huge media or fast gaming graphics, but use a 4K monitor. I'm thinking of starting off with the SATA SSD and maybe adding a PCIE4 SSD later but I can get a PCIe4 SSD now for less I paid for the 850 EVO over 2 years ago. I've noticed some PCIe4 SSDs come with heat sinks, but others charge $10/500GB for an additional heat sink. Does a NVMe SSDs get hot enough to need a heat sink if you're not doing huge sequential writes or massive random I/O? Will performance suffer otherwise?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS