How important is a CPU for gaming w/gtx 970?

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Currently have:

12gb ddr3 RAM
i5 3350p CPU
500 W PSU (evga bronze)
760 GTX reference
1 tb hdd @ 7200 rpm

I want to know if my CPU will hurt the performance of my msi gaming gtx 970 being delivered tomorrow and what alternate CPU I can get for under $300 if it does. IF it bottlenecks only an fps frame drop of only 5 or so then I don't mind. I want it to handle next gen games. If my CPU is good, lemme know. I have not really noticed any problems when running w/gtx 760 and Shadow Mordor. I can't wait to play farcry 4 on this!

Thanks guys and I greatly appreciate your feedback!

Solution

Agreed.. Haswell has very little performance improvement over IvyBridge, the OP's best bet is wait and see what Broadwell and Skylake have to offer. It would be poor money management to upgrade the CPU right now.

If $300 is burning a hole in your pocket though, why don't you look at other components you may want to improve on, such as Case, cooling setup, SSD. :)

Joshua Martinez

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I think your good because my neighbor has almost the exact setup but the cpu is the i5-4460 which is almost the exact thing, and it runs him pretty good.
But if you still in doubt then go which 4690k should do the job! But then you have to change it like in 2 years when games start taking up more threads. So if your willing you buy a cpu at exactly $300 you can get a 4790k. Just saying.

RockyPlays

Honorable
Dec 16, 2014

Oh, you already have that cpu. In that case, that will work fine for the time being.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Agreed.. Haswell has very little performance improvement over IvyBridge, the OP's best bet is wait and see what Broadwell and Skylake have to offer. It would be poor money management to upgrade the CPU right now.

If $300 is burning a hole in your pocket though, why don't you look at other components you may want to improve on, such as Case, cooling setup, SSD. :)

Solution

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Thanks guys, I will do my best to find something else to upgrade. Since I'm not an overclocker, I guess I will just go for the case and I already got a hybrid drive coming in a week.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays!