How important is a Motherboard upgrade?

Wookloaf

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Hey everyone.
I've come with a quick question that I've been having a hard time finding the answer for. I'm currently in the market for a new GPU, I'm running with a Gigabyte GTX 760. It does the job alright, but shows it age with some newer titles for sure. I've been looking at getting a 1070 or 1080. Which brings me to my main question. My current motherboard is a ASUS H87M-plus. It's nothing special but it serves its purpose alright. If i'm going to be getting a new GPU does it make sense just to reuse the existing motherboard, or is it worth while to invest in a proper "gaming" motherboard.
My hold up is, I have a i5-4670k and 16gbDDR3 in my current setup, which I think will still do the job fine. So getting a newer gaming motherboard means changing my socket to LGA1151 from 1150, seriously increasing my cost. Would there be any serious benefits upgrading my Motherboard?

Solution
It makes perfect sense to keep your board. The only returns you'd get out of investing money in a board would be a higher-tier overclocking experience, the whole gaming thing is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Don't worry about a board upgrade, and enjoy your new GPU!
It makes perfect sense to keep your board. The only returns you'd get out of investing money in a board would be a higher-tier overclocking experience, the whole gaming thing is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Don't worry about a board upgrade, and enjoy your new GPU!

Solution

Wookloaf

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

Okay, right on. Thanks for your reply.