Question How important is memory compatibility if its not on a motherboards QVL list?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,

I am wondering how important it is if a set of ram isn't on a motherboards QVL list and if it would still "work"?

To some degree I understand that its not always be all end all, but I upgraded from an intel CPU to a B550 Tomahawk and R7 3700x and my PC has been freezing randomly and I've done extensive troubleshooting to no avail.

1. Half, then full windows reinstall
  2. AMD driver update
3.BIOS update
  1. memory test
  2. drive tests
  3. latest gpu driver
  4. SFC scan
  5. stable temps (30-40 on idle, never above 60 on load)
  6. Locked memory speed to 2800 mhz
  7. tried single channel

Next step is to replace parts, and well, my RAM isnt on the QVL list. They're g.skill f4-2800c17d (cheaper end ram when i first built my PC with an i5 6600 5 years ago)

The ram works just fine, but if its not on the list could it be a cause to my freezing?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Not important at all, in fact I even have "Intel" RAM in my Ryzen build and it runs at it's rated speed just fine.

It's not exactly clear but did you try to connect your old Intel windows boot drive to your new AMD PC?
I originally took out the old motherboard and cpu and put the new AMD stuff in, so yeah, the SSD carrying windows was intel rated. I had a friend who did the same thing and hasnt had issues. Anyway, I did/do so I reinstalled windows completely on that drive.

TRENDING THREADS