[SOLVED] How Important Is The Heat Sink For A WD Black M.2 NVMe SSD?

maskedriderchris

Commendable
Sep 15, 2017
Partly since it affects my choice of mobo for my next build, and partly in general; how important is the heat sink for a Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe SSD? Can I skate by without it? I plan on a good 4 or 5 fans (or perhaps a water cooling system) for cooling in my case. Is the heat sink important or can I get by without it?

Solution
Partly since it affects my choice of mobo for my next build, and partly in general; how important is the heat sink for a Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe SSD? Can I skate by without it? I plan on a good 4 or 5 fans (or perhaps a water cooling system) for cooling in my case. Is the heat sink important or can I get by without it?

I have the wd black 250GB m.2 for my OS and it never goes above 55. Usually those drives remain stable 'till it reaches 80-90c but to get to those temps you need to really be stressing that drive. So you can get by without a heatsink, though if you notice the temps getting too high try moving it to another m.2 slot if possible.

I have the wd black 250GB m.2 for my OS and it never goes above 55. Usually those drives remain stable 'till it reaches 80-90c but to get to those temps you need to really be stressing that drive. So you can get by without a heatsink, though if you notice the temps getting too high try moving it to another m.2 slot if possible.

Solution