How important is this to fix

oscar2008

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I just built a new pc and installed an HDT-S1283 cooler on top of a Q9550. Had a heck of a time getting the push pins in, but finally got it. I'm not doing any overclocking. However now I have uneven core temps.

I'm using SpeedFan 4.35 as my temperature monitor. Cores 0 and 1 are always 10C - 15C degrees cooler than Cores 2 and 3. During gaming, Cores 0 and 1 run around 40C and Cores 2 and 3 run around 55C.

Could these uneven temperatures damage my processor, or is it ok to leave it as is? I'm not liking the idea of taking it apart again, but I'm thinking I probably should.

I didn't know at the time that I there was an accessory retention bracket I could have got to eliminate those awful pins.

Thanks

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well, at those temps it's not going to damage anything but why wouldn't you be ocing? should have saved some money and got a Q6600 to that speed... i would suggest reseating the cooler, seeing if you properly applied thermal paste and then do some ocing :) i mean just chuck it to 400fsb, mild oc. Q9950 and not overclocked... what a waste of a top end chip

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Lets get away from the immediate sillyness you should of bought something else. He needs to be on the top user forums, not Tom's with replies like that. Not everyone is a old deep fried chip.

Thats not what you asked.

Have you tried to monitor temps using a proper load program on the CPU yet? Gamin etc isn't going to load all 4 cores the same.

Try Orthos or one of the other good loading programs. Use Goggle to find CPU load test program or something like that.

You do the work, no links from me.

And push pins suck. And installing push pins in the case sucketh even more, always pull the Mobo to install a CPU HS.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I would go ahead and get the Retention Bracket and reinstall the cpu cooler with Artic Silver 5 or Artic Cooling MX-2 thermal compound.

Conumdrum is right, push pins suck, especially with that large a HSF.

oscar2008

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I have the bracket on order now, so hopefully I'll get it in time to install it this weekend.

And yes, once I'm comfortable with the temperatures, I plan on doing some overclocking.

Thank you for the responses.

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
2 cores are running your games and the other two are on break. Most games cant use all four.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well the processor still has to do an amount of communication for the graphics card(s). in an sli or crossfire rig, the system is usually cpu limited because of graphics card communication. in this instance more than two cores would be beneficial purely for that problem

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
You can use TaskMgr to set the Affinity of your Apps to specific Cores.
Try setting your game and other apps all to different cores.

See if that effects which ones get "hot".
That will tell you if its caused by higher utilization on those cores or if you have a heat sink issue.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
yes, about 2/3 of the hsf complaints here involve push pins. so far, afaik, i haven't seen any complaints about o-ring/am2 setups. there's a few odd complaints here and there about screw backplates.