[SOLVED] How is 5950x better than 3950x for all cores?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

I need to get a new CPU for work where I'd benefit from loads of cores with high clock speeds. I was eyeing up a 3950x (16 cores 3.5GHz base, 4.7GHz boost) but thought I'd wait to see what the 5950x has to offer.

The upcoming 5950x has 16 cores, 3.4GHz base, 4.9GHz base.

Considering I would like lots of core with high clock speeds isn't the 3950x a better bet with its higher base speeds accross all cores?

Kind regards, Andrew

Solution
Hi guys

I need to get a new CPU for work where I'd benefit from loads of cores with high clock speeds. I was eyeing up a 3950x (16 cores 3.5GHz base, 4.7GHz boost) but thought I'd wait to see what the 5950x has to offer.

Considering I would like lots of core with high clock speeds isn't the 3950x a better bet with its higher base speeds accross all cores?

Kind regards, Andrew
Looking at base clocks is misleading since with good cooling Ryzen rarely operates at base clocks even today. With proper cooling and a properly 'tuned' system it will operate using higher boost clocks (although not necessarily to the max rated) even under heavy processing loads as needed...
That very much depends on your workload, if it can benefit from the bigger cache or the less cross ccx jumps it will run much better on the 5series.
You should also wait and see for the reviews to tell us about actual all core clocks and if they are lower the 5950x might still be able to be overclocked to the same clocks.

There is just not enough information yet.

Hi guys

Kind regards, Andrew
Looking at base clocks is misleading since with good cooling Ryzen rarely operates at base clocks even today. With proper cooling and a properly 'tuned' system it will operate using higher boost clocks (although not necessarily to the max rated) even under heavy processing loads as needed.

While I personally don't expect it to be any different with Zen3 we won't know until the reviewers get some chips and test it under decent cooling.

Solution

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
That very much depends on your workload, if it can benefit from the bigger cache or the less cross ccx jumps it will run much better on the 5series.
You should also wait and see for the reviews to tell us about actual all core clocks and if they are lower the 5950x might still be able to be overclocked to the same clocks.

There is just not enough information yet.

Looking at base clocks is misleading since with good cooling Ryzen rarely operates at base clocks even today. With proper cooling and a properly 'tuned' system it will operate using higher boost clocks (although not necessarily to the max rated) even under heavy processing loads as needed.

While I personally don't expect it to be any different with Zen3 we won't know until the reviewers get some chips and test it under decent cooling.

Cheers guys, many thanks for explaining

Rather fascinating results...for the 5800X at least.

A ST score is monstrous...right on in the 19% higher range (618 vs 518-ish for a 3800X). But the MT score 'only' about 12% higher (5724 vs 5120-ish).

Questions it brings up: how much can cooling affecting the MT score? how much can PB optimization?

So what cooler are they using (did I read right that 5800X and up don't come with a bundled Wraithe?) and what motherboard? Would better of either help get even more?

I'm not even raising the question of what PBO optimization might bring as we don't know anything about how Zen3 works, or if it's even a thing with Zen3 for that matter.

Last edited: