[SOLVED] How is APU working, using APU=slower CPU?

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
Hi!

So I was just wondering if im using like APU from my CPU does it make my CPU slower?

Coz i want to have second monitor but i don't want to slow my graphic card even more when im playing games + planning maybe streaming. So I just thought about using HDMI slot from my mobo to use APU. But will it slow my CPU? I have bought an extra CPU cooler so the heat wouldn't make any difference.

my CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
and GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Solution
If you have a discrete GPU populating any PCIe slot on your motherboard. the GPU side of the APU is disabled. That being said, you connect to the discrete GPU if you want any display output to one or multiple monitors.

Lutfij

Titan
If you have a discrete GPU populating any PCIe slot on your motherboard. the GPU side of the APU is disabled. That being said, you connect to the discrete GPU if you want any display output to one or multiple monitors.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
I've seen cases where it works, but more often than not once you have a GPU in the onboard ports stop working.

I find it odd that you are worried about your cpu usage going up when you add a second monitor to your gpu, so you want to plug it into your apu. If you did that, your apu 100% will have to work harder, which could potentially cause issues. The 1060 is a good card, just use it.

At least on intel systems, since that's what I have, you can setup the bios to use both, there is no reason why amd would be different.
Just go into your bios and look at all the options.

It's not only the heat but also the increased power draw that you will have to monitor, depending on your mobo settings it might only give a specific total to the CPU and having the iGPU working would reduce the amount of power for the CPU side, again bios settings should fix that if it happens.

You will have to run a second set of drivers and that will use up a bit of CPU and mem, and of course whatever you will be running on the second monitor will use up resources as well.