Question How is Linux and SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hello All,

I have been contemplating making the conversion from Windows 10 to Linux, recently I installed Mint Linux on an old laptop to play with it, but thinking about switching my gaming rig over to get rid of windows as my daily OS. My question is how useful is SLI support in Linux? I know in windows it is a pain to even get working, so unsure if it's even usable in the Linux environment for gaming.

depends on what games you are intending to play. the games with native vulkan will run really well. steam helped build DXVK which helps directX games run on vulkan. I think you take a big performance hit and you can get banned in multiplayer games for not using the intended os.

Dota2 is a native vulkan game.

Hello All,

I have been contemplating making the conversion from Windows 10 to Linux, recently I installed Mint Linux on an old laptop to play with it, but thinking about switching my gaming rig over to get rid of windows as my daily OS. My question is how useful is SLI support in Linux? I know in windows it is a pain to even get working, so unsure if it's even usable in the Linux environment for gaming.
SLI support is pretty much non-existant. Games in general work well nowadays, especially if you bought most of your games under Steam or GOG. But, Vulkan support for multi-GPU is lacking and even less games do support it.
I would recommend you ditch your SLI cards to get a powerful, single card - Nvidia RTX or AMD RDNA 5xxx both have their advantages (RTX : RTX, AMD: great driver support)

Status
Not open for further replies.