How is my i5 2500k?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi guys. I've been 'out of the game' for a while as far as keeping up on all the latest computer hardware, etc. I'm getting older now (44) and things like keeping up with all the latest stuff doesn't matter as much to me anymore THANKFULLY!

Anyways, I built my current desktop system a few years or more (can't remember now). Maybe it's been over 5, I'm not sure. I have no complaints and my system is FAST enough for me. I'm not a gamer at all, nor will ever be. I used to occasionally do Xplane and stuff, but not really anymore.

So when I built my system and put it an i5 2500k I believe at 3.3 Ghz. So I realize I most likely have a budget type CPU as far as things go now, but like I said my computer's fast enough for my needs.

What I'm wondering is where is my CPU in the current line up of i5's? I just recently heard of the 'generation' things. Like the "generation 6 i5 etc".

Solution
Ah, right.
It would make a small difference, yes.
Not a big enough one to warrant the space if the files are bigger than 1080p though. :)
Delete movies after you're done watching them or transfer them to an archive drive to either replace the space with more movies or media or free up space.
Budget?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yours is gen 2 they are on 7 now. Usually around 5-8% average improvement per generation per clock. The newer ones also have higher clock speeds so it'd be even greater difference than that. For normal usage it wouldn't matter much if any, if you get into video editing or gaming later on it may suffer some, but it's still very viable for 90% of people who use a computer.

zLukez

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Well, there haven't been any huge improvement gains or breakthroughs since the the i7,i5,i3, etc. came out. If you would like a rough estimate then your CPU is perhaps 70% of current i5s now. Not bad, but definitely a gap that will show through heavy tasks.

zLukez

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

In real world performance doing daily stuff, you won't see a difference.

zLukez

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Well it dependents on what you consider a big improvement, but I guess it is an improvement. Nothing crazy, but definitely there.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, what's the deal with SSD? Is it instantaneous more or less? I mean, if I double click on a video will it fire up really quick? Is it really worth it? I mean, I don't find it TOO big of a deal to wait a second or two, BUT I would think it would be pretty cool to have a video open instantaneously.

Nah, an SSD improves boot times and software loading times, videos online are almost purely based on processing and download speeds, if your cache is located on your SSD though it could help a tiny bit, but it wouldn't make much difference vs a HDD.
It's definitely something you'll want to consider in the future, but you should be alright with a hard drive for now.
Wait until you upgrade the CPU and graphics card, that is if you're gaming.
If you're planning on keeping with general use for now, an SSD would be a good addition.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Grandmasterx
wrote

"Nah, an SSD improves boot times and software loading times, videos online are almost purely based on processing and download speeds, if your cache is located on your SSD though it could help a tiny bit, but it wouldn't make much difference vs a HDD.
It's definitely something you'll want to consider in the future, but you should be alright with a hard drive for now.
Wait until you upgrade the CPU and graphics card, that is if you're gaming.
If you're planning on keeping with general use for now, an SSD would be a good addition."

Thanks, I meant videos that load from the HDD though, not from Youtube.

Ah, right.
It would make a small difference, yes.
Not a big enough one to warrant the space if the files are bigger than 1080p though. :)
Delete movies after you're done watching them or transfer them to an archive drive to either replace the space with more movies or media or free up space.
Budget?

Solution