[SOLVED] How is My Main Storage Losing Free Space?

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
Could someone explain, how my SSD where I store my OS within a span of a couple of days, went from 11GB of free storage to only 1GB, even though I've only been storing files in my secondary hard drive (HDD) & external hard drives?

It'd mind-boggling if cookies or caches from browsers are doing that, so I don't think that's the reason, or am I wrong?

I was moving a movie file from a secondary storage into the main storage, then back to the secondary storage, and now the main storage just gain about 1GB of free space. What is going on!?

Solution
When moving files around in Windows, the files are normally copied to the Windows Temp Folder and then copied to the destination. Even copying files using the secondary drive, windows will still copy it to the temp folder of the Operating System and then copy it to the new on the secondary drive.

To fix this, you can change the "Temp" folder location to you secondary drive (not recommended) or utilize a program that copies directly to the destination. You can also have run windows cleanup

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
When moving files around in Windows, the files are normally copied to the Windows Temp Folder and then copied to the destination. Even copying files using the secondary drive, windows will still copy it to the temp folder of the Operating System and then copy it to the new on the secondary drive.

To fix this, you can change the "Temp" folder location to you secondary drive (not recommended) or utilize a program that copies directly to the destination. You can also have run windows cleanup

Solution