Question How is notebook LCD-Display recognized by system

Mar 30, 2022
Hello,

can anyone explain how a notebook LCD-Display is recognized by system.
Assume a notebook with FHD Display and 40pin UHD LED-eDP cable.
Graphic cards are fully UHD capable.

What happens when i connect a UHD Display to the notebook via 40pin UHD LED-eDP cable?
Does the Display 'tell' the notebook that it is UHD and the graphic cards adapt automatically.
Or are there some settings in VBios etc. to be set manually?

kindly regards
Wolfgam

The LCD screen itself has a PCB with a controller, the controller can communicate with the laptop so the laptop knows what type of screen it has to deal with.

Most of laptop screens are industry standard, you can use the same screen for different laptop models or even other electronic devices (on a car's dashboard, in an aircraft's cockpit...). It will work as long as there are power source and compatible data.

Mar 30, 2022
The LCD screen itself has a PCB with a controller, the controller can communicate with the laptop so the laptop knows what type of screen it has to deal with.

Most of laptop screens are industry standard, you can use the same screen for different laptop models or even other electronic devices (on a car's dashboard, in an aircraft's cockpit...). It will work as long as there are power source and compatible data.
When i connect the UHD display via 40pin UHD LED-eDP cable it's not synchronizing correctly. I only see vertical grey lines, even in low res bios mode.
The primery internal graphics controller is intel HD630, capable of UHD.
Do you think bios settings prevent a higher resolution?

wolfgam

When i connect the UHD display via 40pin UHD LED-eDP cable it's not synchronizing correctly. I only see vertical grey lines, even in low res bios mode.
The primery internal graphics controller is intel HD630, capable of UHD.
Do you think bios settings prevent a higher resolution?

wolfgam

Are you sure that the cable is not somehow damaged or not correctly plugged in?

Does your laptop have a video output that you can test with an external display?

TRENDING THREADS