How is SSD Media Wearout Indicator calculated?

jrmymllr

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I have an OCZ-ARC100 240GB SSD in a home server that stores video from cameras, and this is all it holds. It stores the most recent 2-3 weeks of video, so one could safely say that every 2-3 weeks I'm writing 240GB to it. Let's assume 3 weeks as a conservative estimate.

This drive has been in this system for 6 months so that's 24 weeks, completely rewritten every 3 weeks, or about 2TB written. In reality, it's probably more because the camera bitrates were higher at one time, but anyway, it doesn't change much. Based on the amount of video files being written per day per the 'du' command, about 10GB/day is being written which coincides with my estimate.

I'm running Unbuntu and have been using smartctl to keep an eye on the drives as a curiosity. The Media Wearout Indicator recently dropped from 100 to 99. What is interesting is why it's not dropping faster. The endurance rating for this drive is 20GB/day for 3 years which works out to approx. 20TB. Since I've written about 2TB already, the wearout should be more like 10%, not 1%. If I trust the indicator, 1% every 6 months means this drive should last 50 years and have an endurance rating of 10 times what they claim, or 200TB.

Now, if my calculations were off by 10, 20, 50 percent, fine. But 10X?! It seems obvious that the indicator would be based on the OEM's own endurance rating, but clearly it's not.

jrmymllr

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Yes, I agree, I'm sure they can handle much more than what is claimed. Specs on electronics is typically very conservative. But the question was, why is the Media Wearout Indicator moving much more slowly than what's expected, given the manufacture's claimed endurance? Is the Wearout Indicator counting bytes or measuring an attribute of the flash cells themselves? If it's the former, then the Indicator movement doesn't make sense.

jrmymllr

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I finally found something that sort of answers this, but I'm still a little confused. It was on an Intel forum, and the poster was an Intel employee I believe. What they said is the Wearout Indicator is based on how many P/E cycles the flash has been exposed to, rather than the number of bytes written. However, it seems to me these two attributes would be directly related so I don't know.....

I suppose I'll just stop thinking about this and sit back and see what happens to this drive.