[SOLVED] How is the internet on 1 computer in my house significantly slower than the rest?

BN91

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I have 3 desktop computers that are wired to the router. All 3 computers were consistently getting over 250+ download speeds. Now the last couple weeks 1 of the computers can't get a download speed over 160 while the other 2 computers speed remains the same.

Why all of a sudden the speed difference? Could it be something on the computer itself? Perhaps a weird setting change?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts as it's the computer that gets used the most.

Solution
Possibility that the ethernet cable for that one computer was sort of flaky in the first place, and is now going kind of bad?

Try swapping in the cable from one of the other PCs. If the speed comes back to normal, then a bad cable is the issue.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Possibility that the ethernet cable for that one computer was sort of flaky in the first place, and is now going kind of bad?

Try swapping in the cable from one of the other PCs. If the speed comes back to normal, then a bad cable is the issue.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
If they all are getting above 100Mibt, then they are all negotiating gigabit link speed across the cable. I think you have to look at software changes on that one PC. Could a gaming "optimizer" been installed or enabled? Maybe a VPN? That is where I would start looking. See how it performs if you boot safe mode with networking.